help: production vs qa env

I was wondering what the best practice is for determining whether you’re rails app is on a qa server or on the production server.

Here’s the scenario:

I have some google analytics scripts that I want to be activated only for the production server. I have a QA server which I run in production mode for testing purposes so I can’t use the RAILS_ENV as the test. I was thinking of just setting another ENV variable, but don’t know if that’s the best way… Is there a better way?

thanks, a

Andrew Stone wrote:

I was wondering what the best practice is for determining whether you're rails app is on a qa server or on the production server.

Here's the scenario:

I have some google analytics scripts that I want to be activated only for the production server. I have a QA server which I run in production mode for testing purposes so I can't use the RAILS_ENV as the test. I was thinking of just setting another ENV variable, but don't know if that's the best way... Is there a better way?

Well if the hostnames are different you can just do something like:

hostname = `hostname`

if hostname == "<prod_machine>"    ... elsif hostname == "<qa_machine>"    ... end

Are your tests all coming from localhost? If so, you can test for that using @controller.local_request?.