Help on setting up a existing project for development local

Hi,

I’m fairly new to RoR been working with it for about 3 weeks now and starting to get to grips with the basic, (I thought).

I just recently got a job as a designer to update the aesthetics of a ecommerce site but I would really like to expand my programming skills as the site was developed in RoR what better framework to learn.

I purchased the Agile Web Development with rails and found it pretty straight forward working through the examples.

So now I would like to make changes to the and get to grip with the framework but I’m having problems setting up the ecommerce site locally and would like a little help to point me in the right direction I’m using instant rails on windows.

Where I’m at:-

I’ve got all the gems and pluggin’s required for the site, and I downloaded the site files off the server including the migrates and schema for the DB & I’ve created a development db.

I think the main problem is the database as it comes up with errors on the rake db:migrate. I emailed the company who developed the site and they have said “For the migration, try to keep the dump of the db on your local machine, so u don't need to do rake db:migrate” and this has just confused me more.

All help and assistance is greatly appreciated

Good morning Chris,

Once you've got your database.yml file in your config/ directory setup and your database has been created then you should only need to run "rake db:schema:load" from the command line. This will load the schema in your schema.rb file into the database. If you are receiving errors you might want to check the version of Rails the site was developed in as it was fairly recently that version 2.0 came out. There were a few significant changes that occurred between versions and this could be part of the problem. You should be able to tell this by looking at your environment.rb file. You will want to look for the line that say something like:

# Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not present RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '2.0.2' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

If you are still having trouble loading the schema, post the output of rake task or better yet rerun rake db:schema:load with the --trace flag and this will give you all kinds of debugging information. - Mike

Hi, This is the full trace i tryed doin the rake db:schema:load and its still came up with a mysql error saying cant create table

rake aborted! mysql::Error: can't create table'.\lipsiashop_development\attribute_items.frm (errno: 121): CREATE TABLE attribute_items (id int(11))etc............. ENGINE=InnoDB

i ran the ruby script/server and this came up

C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json_pure-1.1.2/lib/json/ext.rb:7 C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/rails_apps/Italyabroad.com/app/controllers/application.rb:8 C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:203:in `load_without_new_constant_marking' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:203:in `load_file' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:202:in `load_file' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:94:in `require_or_load' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:60:in `depend_on' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:442:in `require_dependency' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:109:in `prepare_application_without_reset' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/rails_apps/Italyabroad.com/vendor/plugins/scoped_access/init.rb:14:in `prepare_application' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:39:in `dispatch' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:76:in `process' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:in `synchronize' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:in `process' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:159:in `process_client' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:158:in `each' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:158:in `process_client' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `run' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `initialize' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `new' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `run' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `initialize' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `new' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `run' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:282:in `run' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:in `each' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:in `run' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/bin/mongrel_rails:128:in `run' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/lib/mongrel/command.rb:212:in `run' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86-mswin32/bin/mongrel_rails:281 C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:in `load' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:in `load' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:in `load' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/servers/mongrel.rb:60 C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/server.rb:39 C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' C:/Users/Christopher/Desktop/RubyOnRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' script/server:3 This error occurred while loading the following files:    json/ext    json/ext/parser

I am totally lost now

Cheers in advance for any help Chris

Fixed It !