Help on sending an array in ruby to javascript method

hi all,

I am new to ruby on rails and doing a small application as I am learning ruby on rails..

Problem: Basically I want to send an array @all_languages to a javascript method ..... and be able to access the array in it...

Details:   I have an array of (language_name,language_id) pairs in variable @all_languages Eg: [ ( English, 1 ) , ( French, 2 ) , ( German, 3 ) ] ...

I am displaying every language as a row in a table

I have a link called add_lang_row which calls a javascript code to dynamically add a new row with language_name select box

the javascript code add_lang_row takes a parameter of array of languages described above ie array of (lang_name, id ) pair which is used to fill the select options...[ this is working fine given my parameter is proper ]

But I cant call the script as

<a href='javascript' onclick='add_lang_row( <%= all_languages %>)'>Add country</a>

so i tried ...

<script>             var list_of_langs;             <% for i in 1..@all_languages.length %>             list_of_langs[<%= i-1 %>][0] = <%=@all_languages[i-1][0]%>             list_of_langs[<%=i-1%>][1] = <%=@all_languages[i-1][1]%>     </script>

I am getting syntax error .. :frowning: I am sure ruby will have some cool way of doing this .. as with habtm etc etc...

can anyone help me here...