Help me get in_place_edit working

I am trying to use Ruby on Rails' built in in_place_editor_field helper. Which in theory makes a paragraph of text on my screen editable right where it sits.

I've followed all of the documentation I could find very carefully, but no matter what I do it still will not work even in the simplest example. Which from my understanding, this should make a paragraph of text that reads 'description' which I can click, edit, and save.

Controller (Right under the controller declaration): in_place_edit_for :product, :description

View: <%= in_place_editor_field :product, 'description' %>

In the View header: <%= javascript_include_tag :defaults %>

This throws the error when I launch it: *Called id for nil, which would mistakenly be 4 -- if you really wanted the id of nil, use object_id* around here: *<%= in_place_editor_field :product, 'description' %>* This is a real bummer because I want to do something a little bit more complex, I want to edit fields in a database but it goes without saying those examples I couldn't make work either from the get go.

You need an instance variable "@product" at the time the view is rendered - do you have one?

I.e.:

def show   @product=Product.find(params[:id]) end

Same for new/create.

Cheers, Max