Dustin Anderson wrote:
1. A roadmap of technologies that I should know? (i.e. if I want to
learn Ruby on Rails, what else do I need to know understand (assuming I
know nothing)) Also, what other technologies should I learn to make
myself a well-rounded web developer / web application developer?
* General understanding of programming (sounds like you have that
Good to have:
* SQL (while you can code in Rails without using SQL statements, an
understanding of SQL is very helpful in coding with Rails)
understanding some JS will help you decipher and debug Rails code -
your own and others' - , build your own Rails helpers more easily,
* XML (depending on what you're developping)
* You may need specific technologies depending on what you're
developping for, such as SOAP, etc.
* If you delpoy as well then you need to understand a bit about web
servers like Mongrel, Apache, etc.