Help finding "JRE" to run Netbeans in Linux

I've spent the last year developing a large Ruby on Rails 2.0 application with over a 100 tables and controllers and hope to be deploying it soon. Before I moved from my Windows XP computer to deployment, I wanted to run it in a local Linux environment to sort out: 1. Amazon S3 files 2. RMagick (went south when I upgraded to Rails 2.0) 3. ARMailer (mail spooling program)

I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 and feel running the scripts to install Ruby and Rails are reasonable straightforward. I plan to run an Nginx server with multiple Mongrel clusters using Capistrano. What's killing me is installing a graphic development environment such as Radrails (which I love on Windows XP) or Netbeans. Understand that I've been through the routine of installing "sudo apt- get install sun-java6-jre" many times. Once, for some unknown reason my Netbeans 6.0 came up fine (as it found the JRE location on its own), but I was unsure how it happened and elected to re-install my Ubuntu and try again. Anyway, I'm able to install the Netbeans to the point where it asks for the location of the "JRE". The one time that it worked, this value was automatically filled in when Netbeans started for the first time. When I run "java -version" I get the latest 1.6 installation but can't find out where the "JRE" is located. I've looked MANY places. Anyway, I'm desperate to move this project along and am happy to hire someone to consult on this matter. I am grateful for your reply. Kathleen Kennedy KathysKode@gmail.com

Your Java Runtime Edition should be somewhere in:

/usr/java/jre1.6.0_??/

It MIGHT instead be somewhere around here:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00

If that doesn't work... then I'm out of ideas, :slight_smile:

-Ryan

> Understand that I've been through the routine of installing "sudo apt- > get install sun-java6-jre" many times.

..which I previously pointed out is the wrong approach. But maybe you're just a glutton for punishment :slight_smile: whatever.

> Anyway, I'm able to install the Netbeans to the point where it asks > for the location of the "JRE". The one time that it worked, this value > was automatically filled in when Netbeans started for the first time. > When I run "java -version" I get the latest 1.6 installation

So what does running `which java` produce?

Have you tried the `find` command at all?

Again, you wouldn't be wasting time on this if you installed using the simple, straightforward Sun installer.

FWIW,

Netbeans requires JDK not JRE. You will need the java sdk download rather than the runtime.

-A

Another point. NetBeans 6.0 is not compatible with Rails 2.0. You are using 2.0 right? It seems like you have two options: 1. Install the pre-release version of 6.1 which has everything needed to run Rails 2.0. But Tor warns that since this is a pre-release version, anything goes. 2. Install JRuby 1.0.3 I believe and point NetBeans 6.0 to it. How? I don't know. I am new to NetBeans and Rails 2.0 myself.

Bharat

You need the java JDK not the JRE. Also netbeans can be used with the ruby sdk and hence all gems (including rails) that you will be available.

You don't need Jruby and you don't need 6.1 netbeans. Though the scaffolding would not work because of the change in args. You can however use the console for that.

-A