[HELP] Couldn't find Search with id= from controller

I have been working on the search form for my app. The advanced search works fine, however I am unable to get the regular search form to work. It should be able to search the entire user database, and I should be able to string keywords together. For example if I search the term "no kids" it should return the results for everyone who has "no kids" listed on their profile. Then if I want to be more advance I can search "no kids, asian" and this would of course pull up users with Asian ethnicity that has no kids.

When I do this I get the following error: Couldn't find Search with id=kids. It points to the searches controller for the following line:

def index @search = Search.find(params[:search])

Also a quick note I am following the railscast 111 for this.

Attachments: http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/8535/searches_controller.rb http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/8536/user.rb http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/8537/search.rb

What's in the searches table? How are you populating it to do a Search.find? I'm a wee bit unclear why there's a Search model at all, really...

I have it as a model to save all the searches to database. Originally I thought it would be good to have information on what users are searching for on a dating app, though I have back away from this in recent weeks. I just haven't removed it as I don't want to break the app.

Searches table has gender, age, children, religion, ethnicity, created at, updated at.

find expects a numeric id value, presumable params[:search] is set to "kids" rather than an id.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1113571:

I suggest you start by working right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org, which is free to use online. That will show you the basics of Rails. Also look through the Rails Guides, in particular the one on ActiveRecordQueryInterface.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1113657:

Colin

How would I be able to reverse it so that it searches for the term as oppose to the numeric id of the search options. As I would like for it to be able to search all things on a user profile.

I suggest you start by working right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org, which is free to use online. That will show you the basics of Rails. Also look through the Rails Guides, in particular the one on ActiveRecordQueryInterface.

Colin

I did that tutorial months ago. I have been able to build inbox messaging from scratch, which was a challenging task with all the features a inbox must have especially considering I have no prior coding experience. I am 90% complete with my app, with the rest being small fixes such as this basic search form, having users select photo from gallery as their default profile picture, add user to favorites, and then the rest is javascript. Directing me to read a tutorial does not help me in this case. I have been stuck on this trying to figure it out. Had other people take a look and they too can not spot the problem.

The error is coming from "@search = Search.find(params[:search])" in the searches controller for def index. I have tried different strings to see if I can get around it. None have work. One solution I thought would be best that just failed was moving the def index to the users controller and combining it with the " @users = User.all" that is already there. But that did not do anything either.

Colin Law wrote in post #1113657:

Colin

How would I be able to reverse it so that it searches for the term as oppose to the numeric id of the search options. As I would like for it to be able to search all things on a user profile.

Colin

I did that tutorial months ago. I have been able to build inbox messaging from scratch, which was a challenging task with all the features a inbox must have especially considering I have no prior coding experience. I am 90% complete with my app, with the rest being small fixes such as this basic search form, having users select photo from gallery as their default profile picture, add user to favorites, and then the rest is javascript. Directing me to read a tutorial does not help me in this case. I have been stuck on this trying to figure it out. Had other people take a look and they too can not spot the problem.

The error is coming from "@search = Search.find(params[:search])" in the searches controller for def index.

Can you explain what that line of code is supposed to do?

Colin