having trouble accessing a nested resource in rails 2.3.5

I am trying to add comments to my blog.

comments_controller.rb:   def create     @blog = Blog.find(params[:blog_id])     @comment = @blog.comments.create(params[:comment])     redirect_to blog_path(@blog)   end

In my blog's index view:   <% form_for([ @blog, @comment ]) do |f| %>     ...   <% end %>

blog.rb:   has_many :comments

comment.rb:   belongs_to :blog

routes.rb:   map.resources :blogs, :has_many => :comments

The error I get is:   undefined method 'nil_class_path' and it points to the form_for line

I can add comments from the console, but if I attempt to view them by adding "@comments = Blog.comments.all" to my blog_controller's index action, then "<% @comments.each do |comment| %> " into the corresponding view, I get an "undefined method 'comments'" error

Any assistance would be awesome. And I am only using rails 2 because my host does not support rails 3. I do not have any trouble getting the above to work in rails 3, but i don't know what I am doing wrong now.

Thanks.

I managed to make it work well enough.

I put the following into the blog controller:         def show     @blog = Blog.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format|       format.html # show.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @blog }     end   end

then used ajax to load the commends from the show URL into the index...probably not the sanest way to do it, but i kept getting errors otherwise.

I believe your problem is this:

Blog.comments.all

You want comments on a specific blog, so you need this instead:

@blog = Blog.find(params[:id]) @comments = @blog.comments

Hope this helps.

Jeff

purpleworkshops.com