HashWithIndifferentAccess remove inner hash question

This is probably more of a ruby question, but I'm posting it here as HashWithIndifferentAccess is more of a rails thing.

I have a @morton which is

--- !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess new_lab_data_attributes: - !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess   unit_id: "4"   lab_desc_id: "3"   value: "" - !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess   unit_id: "2"   lab_desc_id: "2"   value: ""

I'd like to delete the new_lab_data_attributes with value = nil

I've tried various incarnations of

@morton[ :new_lab_data_attributes ].each{ |x| x.delete if x[ :value ] == nil }

But nothing seems to be removing those entries. Part of my problem is that I can't quite figure out the key value pairs in this. It almost seems that the inner !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess are symbols for keys--is that right?

Anyway, a method to remove those inner hashes depending on the "value" would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Craig

none of them are nil - they're empty strings....

You could try "blank?" (it might work):   @morton[:new_lab_data_attributes].each{ |x| x.delete if x[:value].blank? }

I'm just lost with this syntax :slight_smile: delete complains if it doesn't have an argument, so I tried

@morton[:new_lab_data_attributes].each{ |x| x.delete(x) if x[:value].blank? }

Which still isn't deleting anything...

It was your syntax! :slight_smile: I just changed "== nil" to ".blank?" Look at the docs for Hash:

Looks like just dropping the "if" would work...

*sigh* no it won't... there's an extra .each iterator in there....

Have a play with "delete_if" instead of the "each"...

Oops, you were right about that (I'm so addled by trying different things at this point, that I'm not seeing the obvious) but it still doesn't work:

@morton[:new_lab_data_attributes].each{ |x| x.delete x[ :value ].blank? } raise @morton.to_yaml

--- !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess new_lab_data_attributes: - !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess   unit_id: "4"   lab_desc_id: "3"   value: "" - !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess   unit_id: "2"   lab_desc_id: "2"   value: ""

Thou art a genius!

@morton[:new_lab_data_attributes].delete_if{ |x| x[ :value ].blank? }

Works. *Many, many* thanks

It ain't me; it's the documentation...

My first port of call is always to type "ruby rails api <my problem>" into Google.

But thanks :slight_smile: