has_one association and saving the associated model

Hi,

what's the best way of assigning a has_one association to a model and then save both, the model and the association, in one step? I thought "build_association" just assigns the association and not updates it in the database.

In my current situation this leads to a double saving of my association. First it get's updated an then a new association gets created.

I've two models: "client" and "birthday". Birthday is a has_one association of client:

class Client < ActiveRecord::Base   has_one :birthday, :dependent => :destroy end

In the "update" action of the client controller I've something like this:

def update     @client = Client.find(params[:id])     @client.attributes = params[:client]     @client.build_birthday(params[:birthday])

respond_to do |format|         if @client.save             format.html { redirect_to client_url(@client) }             format.xml { head :ok }         else             format.html { render :action => "edit" }             format.xml { render :xml => @client.errors.to_xml }         end     end end

First, when executing the line @client.build_birthday(params[:birthday]), the current associated birthday object in the database gets updated. Next, when @client.save gets executed, a new birthday-object gets created in the database (and the foreign key of the old entry gets deleted). This leads to many, not assigned entrys in my database.

If I just use @client.birthday.attributes = params[:birthday] instead of build_birthday, no birthday at all gets saved. So, what's the best was of assigning a has_one association without saving it?

Regards, Timo

dear sender, i�m out of the office until may 29th. your email will not be forwarded. for urgent stuff please contact joern@fork.de kind regards, alexander