has_many :through=>one

Hi everyone.

I am facing a problem with has_many :through with the following model relations:

class User < AR   has_one :profile   has_many :files, :through => :profile end

class Profile < AR   belongs_to :user   has_many :files end

class File < AR   belongs_to :profile end

While the call user.files succeeds with no problem, the following assignment fails.

f = File.new u = User.first u.files << f # FAILURE HERE!

Rails spits out a ActiveRecord::HasManyThroughCantAssociateThroughHasOneOrManyReflection exception.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Cheers,

sergioL

Hi everyone.

I am facing a problem with has_many :through with the following model relations:

class User < AR has_one :profile has_many :files, :through => :profile end

class Profile < AR belongs_to :user has_many :files end

class File < AR belongs_to :profile end

I think you might want to reconsider using the name File as this is already a class in Ruby. Whether this is the cause of your problem I don't know, but I would try that first.

Colin

Exactly what the error says - you can't have a has_many through a has_one

Either chain the method calls to your user's profiles files:

user = User.first   files = user.profile.files

...or create a delegate method in user to return the profile's files:

class User < AR     has_one :profile     def files       self.profile ? self.profile.files :     end   end

HTH

oh yeah... and try to avoid reserved words too :slight_smile:

yebbut... encapsulation *is* a "good thing"... and you wouldn't want to encourage the OP to denormalise for the sake of it. It is nice to have classes responsible for their own stuff. I like to keep the User model of my own for just authentication/essential info, and delegate addresses, telephones, hobbies, etc, to their own classes... horses for courses :slight_smile:

I agree about the encapsulation, it all depends on rest of the app which way to go. However I don't think your use of the word denormalise is correct. The db would not be denormalised by moving stuff into the user table. There would be no replication of data as it is a has_one relationship. It would not be appropriate for things such as hobbies which would likely be a habtm relationship.

Colin

yeah... wrong term... sorry for any confusion. Encapsulation and separation of responsibility is more the gist of why I'd keep the User and Profile stuff apart. All personal preference and project requirements decisions though...