Handling content pages (CMS-like)

Hello list,

I wonder how you guys handle content pages? Often described as “static” pages.

However, I don’t like to call them “static” because these pages often do use some minor dynamic content.

This is what I like to think of as the “website” part of the web application. Content that does not have complex logic behind it.

I had to handle it in the past, and at the time I just created a pages controller and each action would be a “page”. I would then create custom routes as alias to each page, such as:

map.connect “about-us”, :controller => “pages”, :action => “about_us”

However, this new application has many more pages, and with rather complex hierarchies, for example:

site.com/sales-solutions/fast-foods/photo-gallery

(photo-gallery is exclusive, static, content-only sub-section of fast-foods and has nothing to do with a photo-gallery application other than advertising this service)

I’m not sure on how I could best handle situations like this. Maybe Rails has a CMS plugin or something that helps in managing static pages?

If you ever had to deal with a situation like this, please, share your experience and thoughts!

Any hints greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marcelo.

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

Hello list,

I wonder how you guys handle content pages? Often described as "static" pages.

However, I don't like to call them "static" because these pages often do use some minor dynamic content.

This is what I like to think of as the "website" part of the web application. Content that does not have complex logic behind it.

I had to handle it in the past, and at the time I just created a pages controller and each action would be a "page". I would then create custom routes as alias to each page, such as:

map.connect "about-us", :controller => "pages", :action => "about_us"

However, this new application has many more pages, and with rather complex hierarchies, for example:

site.com/sales-solutions/fast-foods/photo-gallery <Login | HSTS Redirection Community;

(photo-gallery is exclusive, static, content-only sub-section of fast-foods and has nothing to do with a photo-gallery application other than advertising this service)

I'm not sure on how I could best handle situations like this. Maybe Rails has a CMS plugin or something that helps in managing static pages?

If you ever had to deal with a situation like this, please, share your experience and thoughts!

Any hints greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marcelo.

I use Radiant CMS. I haven't yet needed to marry it with a Rails application but I believe it can be done - there are a couple of extensions for Radiant that support it.

Cheers, Mohit. 6/23/2008 | 12:47 AM.

Thanks Mohit, I will definitely try Radiant,

But, I wonder, how do you handle the pages issues in your Rails applications?

Cheers,

Marcelo.

To handle a limitless number of custom page urls, I use a catch-all route at the end of config/routes.rb:   map.path '*url', :controller=>'paths', :action=>'show',     :conditions=>{:method=>:get}

Custom urls using this route will be overridden by the other routes in routes.rb, and any files in public/ that match the url.

My paths controller manages Path objects, which use polymorphic belongs_to relations to attach arbitrary paths (relative to my web- server root) to any displayable object (in my case, this includes things like Pages and Events).

My code for this is part of my Wayground project, viewable at: http://github.com/grantneufeld/wayground/tree/master Of particular interest are: app/controllers/paths_controller.rb app/controllers/pages_controller.rb app/models/page.rb app/models/path.rb

I should probably pull my path handling stuff out into some sort of acts_as_custom_url plug-in. Will post to this list if I do get around to that.

Thanks a lot for sharing, Grant.