Hacking on restful_authentication

I am relatively new to Rails, and I recently installed the restful_authentication plugin to manage authentication and users for a site I'm developing. I wanted to change the behaviour of the plugin so that it returned meaningful error messages to users when a login failed (ie to tell the user whether the login failed because the user didn't exist or because the password didn't match), but this proved surprisingly difficult. The problem is that user authentication is done in a class method, which returns nil to indicate that the login failed.

def self.authenticate     u = find_by_login(login) # need to get the salt     u && u.authenticated?(password) ? u : nil end

I tried quite a few things, but they were all hampered by the fact that (a) the nil value represented both kinds of errors and (b) returning nil didn't allow me to use things like virtual attributes to store and indication of the actual problem. It was made more difficult by the fact that this authentication happened in the model, and therefore I was limited in the way that I could communicate back to the controller (eg the model doesn't have access to the flash or the session).

Eventually I decided to use custom exceptions for the two different types of errors and have the controller separately rescue these to set the flash message to indicate what actually went wrong, as these seemed like the way to achieve my aim with minimal disturbance to the existing system (there seem to be quite a few places that relied on the existing design).

def self.authenticate(login, password)     u = find_by_login(login) # need to get the salt     raise AuthenticatedSystem::UserNotFoundException if u.nil?     raise AuthenticatedSystem::InvalidPasswordException unless u.authenticated?(password)     return u   end

I guess what I'm wondering is what would be the best (ie most Rails- like) way to implement this if you were starting from scratch with this aim in mind ? Would it be better to move more of the logic into the controller by changing the authenticate method to an instance method without the find, doing the find in the controller and then call authenticate on the returned user model to validate the password ? Or is there some other more elegant solution that I'm missing ?