HABTM Blank Join table

Based of the declaritive_authorization railscast I've set up a roles table containing 3 role types. A user table and a roles_users table. No matter what I do the join table is always empty.

DB:   create_table "roles", :force => true do |t|     t.string "role_type"     t.datetime "created_at"     t.datetime "updated_at"   end

create_table "roles_users", :id => false, :force => true do |t|     t.integer "role_id"     t.integer "user_id"   end

add_index "roles_users", ["role_id"], :name => "index_roles_users_on_role_id"   add_index "roles_users", ["user_id"], :name => "index_roles_users_on_user_id"

create_table "users", :force => true do |t|     t.string "first_name", :null => false     t.string "middle_name"     t.string "last_name", :null => false     t.string "email", :null => false     t.string "dealer_id", :null => false ............

role.rb model: class Role < ActiveRecord::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many :users

attr_protected :role_type end

user.rb model: class User < ActiveRecord::Base   acts_as_authentic do |c|     c.logged_in_timeout = 10.minutes     c.login_field = :email   end   has_and_belongs_to_many :roles   belongs_to :dealer

def role_symbols     roles.map do |file|       role.name_underscore.to_sym     end   end

attr_accessible :email, :password, :password_confirmation, :first_name, :middle_name, :last_name

end

The user is being created here: @dealer = Dealer.new(params[:dealer]) @dealer.save! @user = @dealer.users.create(params[:user].merge(:role_id => 3) @dealer.addresses.create(params[:mailing_address])

Every field is created without error except the join table is left blank always. If i call: @user.role.create it will successfully create a new role (with a blank name which is bad) and a join table row. Other then that the join table is always empty.

Any suggestions. I've run out of things to try.

cheers, brianp

I dont use HABTM much myself, however I dont think this line will work: @user = @dealer.users.create(params[:user].merge(:role_id => 3)

Try something like this instead: @dealer = Dealer.create(params[:dealer]) @user = @dealer.users.new(params[:user]) @user.roles << Role.find(3) @user.save

Hey Sharagoz,

Thanks a lot. It worked exactly as desired. Now I was lead to believe that the habtm relationship would be created automagically when the user object is created. Why is it we had to explicitly define it like this?

Thanks a lot! -brianp

If ActiveRecord were to know that it's supposed to create an habtm association to another object simply because a foreign_key is present in the attributes hash of the new object, then I think that would create a lot of overhead in the create method, and it's a bit too much magic in my opinion. On every create it would need to check the attributes hash for *_id attributes, then check if any habtm associations matches that, and if so create the record in the join table. Or a reverse version of that where it checks for habtm relations first. It's possible but that's not how it has been implemented.