habtm association and accepts_nested_attributes_for

hi all,

i have the following models:

class Developer < ActiveRecord::Base     has_and_belongs_to_many :projects     accepts_nested_attributes_for :projects   end

class Project < ActiveRecord::Base     has_and_belongs_to_many :developers     accepts_nested_attributes_for :developers   end

the following code:

params = { 'form' => { 'name' => 'gonzalo', 'dni' => '12876365x',                'projects_attributes' => {                  'new_01' => { 'name' => 'Sioux', 'cost' => '25000' },                  'new_02' => { 'name' => 'Apache', 'cost' => '3400'}}}}   Developer.create(params['form'])

will create a new Developer and two new Projects and the corresponding association between Developer and Projects.

then, I add a new Developer using the same mechanism:

params = { 'form' => { 'name' => 'paul', 'dni' => '17002034z',                  'projects_attributes' => {                    '1' => { 'name' => 'ZZZZ', 'cost' => '25000' },                    '2' => { 'name' => 'YYYY', 'cost' => '3400'}}}}   Developer.create(params['form'])

following NestedAttributes documentation... this code should add a new Developer (paul) and link it against the two already created Projects with ids 1 and 2. Besides, this code should modiify projects names from Sioux and Apache to ZZZZ and YYYY respectively.

the real result is that a new Developer (paul) is added but linked against two new Projects (ZZZZ and YYYY)

am I doing something wrong? should i use another approach to face this problem? is accept_nested_attributes_for feature compatible with habtm associations?

and last... what if i just want to create a new Developer (paul) that is associated with the already created Projects with ids 1 and 2? The following code won't work:

params = { 'form' => { 'name' => 'paul', 'dni' => '17002034z',                    'projects_attributes' => {                      '1' => { },                      '2' => { }}}}   Developer.create(params['form'])

thanks in advance for your help! regards.

Try using the ID inside (this works for me):

params = { 'form' => { 'name' => 'paul', 'dni' => '17002034z',                  'projects_attributes' => {                    '1' => { 'id' => '1', 'name' => 'ZZZZ', 'cost' => '25000' },                    '2' => { 'id' => '2', 'name' => 'YYYY', 'cost' => '3400'}}}}

An element with an ID is considered to be updated instead of created.