GRANT: help me!

I have a database with grants commands setted (for admin, user, ..). How can I connect each users with database (according with db rules) in rails? When rails application start it is connected according database.yml.. but I need a right connection based on user type!

Thanks!!

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you talking about authenticating a users connection to the database inside your application?

If so that has nothing todo with the rails database connection. You need to lookinto a plugin that will do authentication and authorization on the rails application side...

OR

You want to lock down the access that you application has to the database?

GRANT SELECT,DROP ON app_production.* TO 'someuser'@'somewhere' IDENTIFIED BY 'somepassword';

That gives someuser connecting from host somwhere SELECT and DROP access to the app_production database with the password somepassword ???

Does that answer your question or am I way off?

Are you talking about authenticating a users connection to the database inside your application?

If so that has nothing todo with the rails database connection. You need to lookinto a plugin that will do authentication and authorization on the rails application side...

OR

You want to lock down the access that you application has to the database?

GRANT SELECT,DROP ON app_production.* TO 'someuser'@'somewhere' IDENTIFIED BY 'somepassword';

That gives someuser connecting from host somwhere SELECT and DROP access to the app_production database with the password somepassword ???

Does that answer your question or am I way off?

I've grant commands setted into database (with GRANT SELECT.......), 3 grant (for 3 user types). For ex, if you are connetted to myhost.com/admin, you will be prompted for insert your account information and rails will be connected to database with "admin" user.. nothing more, nothing less :wink: . I know that this don't sound good, but I can't modify my db.. and db have grants and views.. If there are some trick to avoid this..

Thank you

Something like this?

ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(   :adapter => "mysql",   :host => "localhost",   :username => "admin",   :password => "password",   :database => "database" )

Erol Fornoles wrote:

Not necessarily. How many kinds of db user accounts do you have? Are they fixed, or do you have a variable number of them?

Erol Fornoles wrote:

You might want to try Dr. Nic's Magic Multi-Connections to make the job easier.

http://magicmodels.rubyforge.org/magic_multi_connections/

You might want to try Dr. Nic's Magic Multi-Connections to make the job easier.

Nice name anyway :wink:

http://magicmodels.rubyforge.org/magic_multi_connections/

I'll going to see..

Thanks!