Getting the default route

Hi,

I'm using this plugin to get the default controller / action:

module ActionController   module Routing     def get_default_controller    ActionController::Routing::Routes.routes[0].requirements[:controller]     end     def get_default_action       ActionController::Routing::Routes.routes[0].requirements[:action]     end   end end

Is this the best way or is there a more simple / easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm using this plugin to get the default controller / action:

module ActionController   module Routing     def get_default_controller

ActionController::Routing::Routes.routes[0].requirements[:controller]     end     def get_default_action       ActionController::Routing::Routes.routes[0].requirements[:action]     end   end end

Is this the best way or is there a more simple / easier way to do this?

You could use a named route and then access it with that name...

routes.rb...

map.default_route '', :controller => "home"

views...

link_to "Home", default_route_url

-philip

But this is my default route: map.connect '', :controller => "dashboard"

Thanks for your reply.

Not that your method doesn't work. But I would like to do it in the first way too.

But this is my default route: map.connect '', :controller => "dashboard"

So change it to...

map.default_route '', :controller => "dashboard"

Then in your view do:

link_to "Dashboard", default_route_url

-philip

Is there any kind of difference between the two routes?

map.connect “/” … map.connect “” …

Or does Rails render them both as the root? Anyone? [Hope this isn’t threadjacking]

RSL

Thanks Philip. But then how do I get the seperate controller and action from that default method? I need it to add a seperate class to links with the selected url.

Perhaps you've hinted here at your real problem. Are you thinking that you want to do something like add a 'class' attribute to the link if it's the current page?

If that's true, perhaps this helps:

link_to_unless_current("Dashboard", :controller => 'dashboard', :action => 'index') do |text|   link_to text, {:controller => 'dashboard', :action => 'index'}, :class => 'seperate' end

If not, perhaps you can explain what you're TRYING to do rather than how to accomplish a tiny task that you think is part of the solution.

-Rob