getting the correct index in a ruby array in a javascript lo

So I'm very new to both ruby and javascript, but the basic problem is. I have a ruby array @events_this_month, and i'm running a javascript loop that basically needs the information from this array. The problem is I can't seem to set the proper index for my ruby array. What I have looks like this:

for( var i = 0; i < 3; i++)   {        var title = '<%= @events_this_month[i].title %>';     alert(title);   }

I've also tried:

<%= $j = 0 %>   for( var i = 0; i < 3; i++)   {        var title = '<%= @events_this_month[$j].title %>';     alert('<%= $j %>');                 <%= $j = $j +1 %>   }

Any suggestions on how I can access the correct index in my ruby array during the javascript loop?

You’re confusing server side and client side code. Javascript works after a webpage has been returned but Ruby works when a page is being fetched. So if you want to be able to iterate over a bunch of values you’ll need to create a javascript array that contains the values of the Ruby array. If you want to convert it to a javascript array: http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/JavaScriptHelper.html#M001761 I suggest you just make an array of titles and then pass it in via an options array to your code or something to keep the view layer clean. **So in your controller set:**options[:title] Equal to an array of the titles from your object array. Something like: var myEvents = <%= array_or_string_for_javascript(options[:title]) %>;

for( var i = 0; i < myEvents.length; i++) { alert (myEvents[i]); }

Someone correct me if I’m explaining anything wrong or if there is something wrong with my syntax – I’m beginning ruby and rails myself so I think that’s the correct syntax.

Tim