getting data from a through table

im using has_many through and the through table has some data i want but i cant seem to access it using straight rails

<code> class AttributeObjects < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :attributes   belongs_to :objects end

class Attributes < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :attribute_objects   has_many :objects, :through => :attribute_objects end

class Objects < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :attribute_objects   has_many :attributes, :through => :attribute_objects end

</code>

now imagine that attribute_objects also contains a rating so when i say, object.attributes, id like to get the rating too that doesnt seem to be possible with the has_many relationship if i could force the join on the object attributes to bring the attribute_objects fields also...maybe

i think i have to write custom sql for this

now imagine that attribute_objects also contains a rating so when i say, object.attributes, id like to get the rating too that doesnt seem to be possible with the has_many relationship if i could force the join on the object attributes to bring the attribute_objects fields also...maybe

If you want to access properties of AttributeObjects [1], you can iterate the collection of them, not the collection of attributes. So instead of:

@object.attributes.each do |attribute|   attribute.name .... end

you do this: @object.attribute_objects.each do |attribute_object|   attribute_object.attribute.name ....   attribute_object.rating .... end

i think i have to write custom sql for this

You can if you want... but you don't *have* to. You can possibly use the ":finder_sql" option of the association to specify your own conditions for populating the collection (I've been fiddling with it here for 10mins, and not got it working... post up some working code if it does it for you :slight_smile:

[1] All your class names are plural; they should really be singular...

thanks for the suggestions

attributes is a self inherited table so i need to get them i order of top level and down this is part of my current solution

has_many :objects_attributes do     def top_level       all(:joins => :attribute, :conditions => "attributes.parent_id is null")     end

def children(id)       all(:joins => :attribute, :conditions => ["attributes.parent_id = ?", id])     end end

this allows me to access all fields in order desired thanks for your help