Get domain

Hi guys,

I'm trying to work out how to request the URL in RoR - the only help page I've found is http://textsnippets com/posts/show/822 which has the following code:

<% page = request.request_uri %> page: <%= page %>

Whenever I try this, however, I get an error message.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

Whenever I try this, however, I get an error message.

What's the error message?

Rob Percival wrote:

Internal Error

That's not the error it's the death page in the browser.

Complete error reports will contain sensitive details, so they only go to the log/production.log. Read that to find the real error. And run in development mode, to see the error in the browser.

And how are your functional tests doing? They won't exactly match server behavior, but I think you can test your situation like this:

@request.request_uri = 'http://www.hogthrob.com/

Phlip wrote:

Rob Percival wrote:

Internal Error

That's not the error it's the death page in the browser.

Complete error reports will contain sensitive details, so they only go to the log/production.log. Read that to find the real error. And run in development mode, to see the error in the browser.

And how are your functional tests doing? They won't exactly match server behavior, but I think you can test your situation like this:

@request.request_uri = 'http://www.hogthrob.com/

--    Phlip

Phlip,

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm not up enough on RoR to know what the production.log or functional tests are! I'm just trying to edit a pre-existing RoR module (Hostpay with heartinternet.co.uk). I thought I would be able to do it without mucking through RoR installation, setup etc, but perhaps not!

Thanks anyway,

Rob

Rob Percival wrote:

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm not up enough on RoR to know what the production.log or functional tests are! I'm just trying to edit a pre-existing RoR module (Hostpay with heartinternet.co.uk).

If you are the software's client, not its programmer, then is this a tech-support question for heartinternet?

All the following assumes you have source; if you don't, there's nothing this list can do. "Nothing" is not an aphorism, because that website is probably too secure for us to get to its production log!

I thought I would be able to do it without mucking through RoR installation, setup etc, but perhaps not!

Excellent; learning Rails is very good for you!

Get "the Agile book", meaning /Agile Web Development with Rails/ by the Daves.

Next, did the original author of this code write anything into the test folder? Run this line:

grep test_ test/*/* | grep -v test_dummy

Does it return any test cases? Next run this:

rake stats

Do you get a grid of statistics, and does it include a unit test count? Correlate the rows "Functional tests" and "Unit tests" with the column "methods" - the number should be higher than the number of methods in your Controllers and Models.

If not, you should reject this program if possible; it's not worth working with.

However, a unit test might not capture your error, so now we are going to find the production log. Read config/deploy.rb to learn the name of the target server, and the path to the deployment location.

ssh to that server.

cd into the deployment folder, and look for the folders "releases" and "current". They show you are in the right spot. Then cd into "currrent/log", and enter:

less production.log

now search for the error, using the / command.

If you get this far on any of these tips, report back here. If not, you must get tech support for this product!