Gemfile.local along with Gemfile?

Hi all!

I'm wondering if there is any elegant way to have some gems locally in a rails 3.2 + ruby 1.9 project but not have them in the Gemfile and therefore not in source control.

The reason is very similar to this:

I work on a large team and we moved to Ruby 1.9.3 but ruby-debug19 doesn't work with 1.9.3 unless you do some weird stuff. I got it to work, but it totally taints the Gemfile (references RVM paths). Plus, some people on the team don't use or want to use ruby-debug. It occurs to me that this is probably a bigger problem than my issue.

Specifically: with bundler, is there some way to have project gems AND local gems, where the local gems aren't part of the project?

In my case, I'd then be able to have ruby-debug hacked and configured for my local development, but it wouldn't be in the Gemfile and thus wouldn't mess up the other devs.

Thoughts?

-Danimal

Hi all!

I'm wondering if there is any elegant way to have some gems locally in a rails 3.2 + ruby 1.9 project but not have them in the Gemfile and therefore not in source control.

The reason is very similar to this:

How to use a gem in Rails 3 without referencing it in the Gemfile - Stack Overflow

I work on a large team and we moved to Ruby 1.9.3 but ruby-debug19 doesn't work with 1.9.3 unless you do some weird stuff. I got it to work, but it totally taints the Gemfile (references RVM paths). Plus, some people on the team don't use or want to use ruby-debug. It occurs to me that this is probably a bigger problem than my issue.

Specifically: with bundler, is there some way to have project gems AND local gems, where the local gems aren't part of the project?

In my case, I'd then be able to have ruby-debug hacked and configured for my local development, but it wouldn't be in the Gemfile and thus wouldn't mess up the other devs.

Thoughts?

What about defining a constant in an initializer that is not checked in then do something like what is shown in the bundler section here: