Gem

Hello All,

Is there any gem for Authorising Permission based on users ? Like Cancan is used for role based authorisation.

Thanks.

You can set permissions for every role using CanCan.

There can be multiple permissions for a single role. How to handle that?

Hi,

Iam using the rolify gem in my project and found it to be very useful check this out http://eppo.github.com/rolify/

Thanks,

Yes, this makes some sense. But this is helpful, when you have only one user per role.

Suppose you are an admin. & under Admin there are 5 sub-admins. All sub-admins have different permissions, but role is still the Admin. Admin need to assign different different permissions to those 5 sub-admins. I guess this can’t be achieved through CanCan because this is a Role-based authorisation.

Can you explain with an example so that I can better solve your problem?

The purpose you want to achieve includes a huge number of if conditions. I can give an example but better is that you provide some scenario.

Thanks for reply.

So here is the requirement :-

I have an Admin (Admin is a role). & under Admin there are 5 users. All users(same role as Admin) have different permissions. Those users can be differentiated by their permissions to perform tasks. Admin need to assign different different permissions to those 5 users. Here implementation of giving permissions to the role Admin is important. How to achieve this? An User has has_many relationship with Permission.

In CanCan, we can only define role, but not permissions.

You can have 5 different roles with different permissions you want to assign each of the admin.

Well, as per the requirement, the role is one- i.e. Admin. But permissions need to be different for admin users.

It doesn’t make sense that a role has different permissions. You can create more roles and assign them different permissions. The purpose you are trying to achieve will always require different roles.