gem installation issues

hi all,

This may seem trivial and stupid to the experts , but i have been at it for over 2 weeks and all answers got from forums did not help with resolving the issue. Even using cygwin didn't help , i get the same errors.

I'm working on a windows- rails combination and am trying trying to setup an existing application which uses a plethora of gems. I'm done with about a hundred gems , but 3 gems are failing the installations. I'm listing the gem and the error i recieve below, if anyone has any solution for hese issues , i'll be immensely grateful.

1) gem install rjb Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit... Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing rjb: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.8.7/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:         --with-opt-dir         .....         --ruby=C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.8.7/bin/ruby extconf.rb:45:in `open': No such file or directory - C:\Program Files\Java\include (Errno::ENOENT) from extconf.rb:45

2) gem install ruby-xslt Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit... Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR:Error installing ruby-xslt:ERROR:Failed to build gem native xtension.

C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.8.7/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb checking for xmlParseDoc() in -lxml2... no checking for xsltParseStylesheetFile() in -lxslt... no checking for exsltRegisterAll() in -lexslt... no *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:         --with-opt-dir         .....         --without-exsltlib extconf.rb:57:in ``': No such file or directory - xml2-config --cflags (Errno::ENOENT) from extconf.rb:57

3) gem install system_timer Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit... Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing system_timer:         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.8.7/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb creating Makefile

make gcc -I. -I/C/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.8.7/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mingw32 -I/C/RailsInstal ler/Ruby1.8.7/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mingw32 -I. -g -O2 -DFD_SETSIZE=256 -c system_timer_native.c system_timer_native.c: In function 'install_first_timer_and_save_original_configuration': system_timer_native.c:43:22: error: storage size of 'timer_interval' isn't known system_timer_native.c:52:26: error: 'SIG_BLOCK' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:52:26: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in system_timer_native.c:63:5: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct sigaction' system_timer_native.c:64:24: error: 'SIGALRM' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:81:24: error: 'ITIMER_REAL' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:95:26: error: 'SIG_UNBLOCK' undeclared (first use in thisfunction) system_timer_native.c: In function 'install_next_timer': system_timer_native.c:108:22: error: storage size of 'timer_interval' isn't known system_timer_native.c:118:26: error: 'SIG_BLOCK' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:129:24: error: 'ITIMER_REAL' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:142:26: error: 'SIG_UNBLOCK' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c: In function 'restore_original_configuration': system_timer_native.c:156:26: error: 'SIG_BLOCK' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:167:5: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct sigaction' system_timer_native.c:169:31: error: 'SIGALRM' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:174:5: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct sigaction' system_timer_native.c: In function 'restore_original_timer_interval': system_timer_native.c:189:24: error: 'ITIMER_REAL' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c: In function 'restore_sigalrm_mask': system_timer_native.c:197:37: error: 'SIGALRM' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c:198:21: error: 'SIG_UNBLOCK' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c: In function 'init_sigalarm_mask': system_timer_native.c:272:31: error: 'SIGALRM' undeclared (first use in this function) system_timer_native.c: In function 'set_itimerval': system_timer_native.c:292:10: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type system_timer_native.c:293:10: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type system_timer_native.c:294:10: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type make: *** [system_timer_native.o] Error 1

hi all,

This may seem trivial and stupid to the experts , but i have been at it for over 2 weeks and all answers got from forums did not help with resolving the issue. Even using cygwin didn't help , i get the same errors.

I'm working on a windows- rails combination and am trying trying to setup an existing application which uses a plethora of gems. I'm done with about a hundred gems , but 3 gems are failing the installations. I'm listing the gem and the error i recieve below, if anyone has any solution for hese issues , i'll be immensely grateful.

1) gem install rjb

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/msg/94d3213dc18193b0

And the whole thread: http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/browse_thread/thread/bb57df69742d5100

2) gem install ruby-xslt

Same and similar problem than the one before: you need development headers, xslt dependencies which I believe are provided by libxml2

3) gem install system_timer

Released system_timer is not prepared to handle timing on Windows.

There is no official word on including these changes to correct the issue.