gem install of rails-3.0.3 on ruby-1.8.7-p330 gives rdoc error

On Ubuntu 10.04 with rvm 1.1.7 and the "Christmas" rubies: * I get the ERROR messages below for a "fresh"   'gem install rails' on ruby-1.8.7-p330 * I get a clean install of rails 3.0.3 on   ruby-1.9.2-p136 (see below)

peterv@ASUS:~$ rvm --version

rvm 1.1.7 by Wayne E. Seguin (wayneeseguin@gmail.com) [http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/\]

In one terminal : 1.8.7-p330

As you are using Rails 3, you have a good option after installing rails is to run "bundle install" command from your application, this will install all required gems for you.

Another note, I faced many cases in Rails 3 that installation of gems fail, and after some researching, the solutions was to add --no-ri --no-rdoc to the installation command.

For example, if you want to install rails

gem install rails --no-ri --no-rdoc

Regards,

Ahmed

Ahmed Abdelsalam wrote in post #971296:

As you are using Rails 3, you have a good option after installing rails is to run "bundle install" command from your application, this will install all required gems for you.

Thanks, but they are already installed. It is only the generation of documentation that fails. And I can fix that manually with RDoc 3.

Another note, I faced many cases in Rails 3 that installation of gems fail, and after some researching, the solutions was to add --no-ri --no-rdoc to the installation command.

For example, if you want to install rails

gem install rails --no-ri --no-rdoc

Yes indeed, that works, but then, there is no local documentation...

I wanted to report the problem a default 'gem install rails' on the latest ruby 1.8.7 patch showed this problem (but maybe I am doing something wrong ?).

I also had a problem with my rubygems sources, fixed that, but the problem with generation of documentation for builder-2.1.2 is still present on my system.

HTH,

Peter