gem file showing outdated gems?

For some reason my gem file in my rails app shows outdated versions of gems even though i’ve updated.

Ie.
gem ‘uglifier’, ‘>= 1.0.3’

However after running bundle update my terminal showed

Using uglifier (1.3.0)

Is there a dependency path that is incorrect? How can I make sure my gemfile is using the correct versions?

Thanks.

You update the version string in the Gemfile. Just because you run a
bundle update does not mean that bundler will alter your Gemfile.
Actually that would be a violation of most principles if it did...that
is why it has it's own lock file so it does not violate reasonable
expectations from developers.

Ok. Something interesting though. I’ve updated the version in the gemfile. Then when I run bundle update the gem file is then modified and version reverts back to old versions.

Ok. Something interesting though. I've updated the version in the gemfile.
Then when I run bundle update the gem file is then modified and version
reverts back to old versions.

Gemfile should not be modified when you run bundle update.
Gemfile.lock (which you should not manually modify) will get
automatically updated.
Post Gemfile after you modify it, post the output from bundle update,
and post the Gemfile again if you think it gets modified. Also post
Gemfile.lock after the bundle update.

Colin

Gemfile here. It looks like it’s no longer changing.

source “http://rubygems.org

gem ‘rails’, ‘3.2.8’

Bundle edge Rails instead:

gem ‘rails’, :git => ‘git://github.com/rails/rails.git’

gem ‘sqlite3’

gem ‘json’

Gems used only for assets and not required

in production environments by default.

group :assets do
gem ‘sass-rails’, ‘~> 3.2.5’
gem ‘coffee-rails’, ‘~> 3.2.2’

See https://github.com/sstephenson/execjs#readme for more supported runtimes

gem ‘therubyracer’, :platforms => :ruby

gem ‘uglifier’, ‘>= 1.3.0’
end

gem ‘jquery-rails’, ‘~> 2.0.2’

To use ActiveModel has_secure_password

gem ‘bcrypt-ruby’, ‘~> 3.0.0’

To use Jbuilder templates for JSON

gem ‘jbuilder’

Use unicorn as the app server

gem ‘unicorn’

Deploy with Capistrano

gem ‘capistrano’

To use debugger

gem ‘ruby-debug’

Output

dhcp-10-155-17-147:ticketee bradwrage$ bundle update
Fetching gem metadata from http://rubygems.org/
Using rake (0.9.2.2)
Using i18n (0.6.1)
Using multi_json (1.3.6)
Using activesupport (3.2.8)
Using builder (3.0.3)
Using activemodel (3.2.8)
Using erubis (2.7.0)
Using journey (1.0.4)
Using rack (1.4.1)
Using rack-cache (1.2)
Using rack-test (0.6.1)
Using hike (1.2.1)
Using tilt (1.3.3)
Using sprockets (2.1.3)
Using actionpack (3.2.8)
Using mime-types (1.19)
Using polyglot (0.3.3)
Using treetop (1.4.10)
Using mail (2.4.4)
Using actionmailer (3.2.8)
Using arel (3.0.2)
Using tzinfo (0.3.33)
Using activerecord (3.2.8)
Using activeresource (3.2.8)
Using bundler (1.2.0)
Using coffee-script-source (1.3.3)
Using execjs (1.4.0)
Using coffee-script (2.2.0)
Using rack-ssl (1.3.2)
Using json (1.7.5)
Using rdoc (3.12)
Using thor (0.16.0)
Using railties (3.2.8)
Using coffee-rails (3.2.2)
Using jquery-rails (2.0.3)
Using rails (3.2.8)
Using sass (3.2.1)
Using sass-rails (3.2.5)
Using sqlite3 (1.3.6)
Using uglifier (1.3.0)

Your bundle is updated! Use bundle show [gemname] to see where a bundled gem is installed.

I’m running into issues when adding these lines here to my gemfile.

group :test, :development do

gem ‘rspec-rails’, ‘~> 2.11’

end

group :test do

gem ‘capybara’, ‘1.1.2’

end

Output shows this when added to the gemfile.