functional tests

Hi,

Im stating to play with rails testing and have hit a slight snag that i'm hoping someone can hit me with a clue bat for.

I have my models and associations set up correctly and all is working as it should.

I only have the auto generated tests at the moment and the test_should_get_index test is failing.

The controller is just a default controller but i get the following error on the test as i modified the index view.

test_should_get_index(CommitsControllerTest): ActionView::TemplateError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! The error occurred while evaluating nil.real_name     On line #13 of commits/index.html.erb

10:     11: <% for commit in @commits %>     12: <tr>     13: <td><%=h commit.person.real_name.name%></td>     14: <td><%=h commit.project.name %></td>     15: <td><%=h commit.log %></td>     16: <td><%=h commit.date %></td>

The commit controller as i say has not been modified since being generated

And the index method is

def index     @commits = Commit.find(:all)

respond_to do |format|       format.html # index.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @commits }     end   end

This works fine in normal usage so i guess i need to modify the test somehow.

The test looks like

require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper'

class CommitsControllerTest < ActionController::TestCase   fixtures :commits, :people, :projects

def test_should_get_index     get :index     assert_response :success    assert_not_nil assigns(:commits)   end

Clearly i am missing something, i thought just loading the necessary fixtures would make it work.

So what is the correct way to fix this?

Thanks

Mark Kirby

My own stupid fault. I had not put the id's in my fixtures, no wonder it couldn't find anything.

mark