fubar and Gemfile.lock

Hi All,      In trying to port a working version from one computer to another I had installed the requisites and copied over the files in the rails project. However one method wouldn't work and it was because the gem involved wouldn't work with the newest rails. After uninstalling rails, reinstalling an earlier version and playing with DevKit, et. al., I've managed to fubar the project so that now it even claims it can't find rubygems. So I'm inclined to uninstall gems, the devkit and rails and then copy over the code again, essentially starting over. Question 1) what is the proper method of uninstalling those 3? Question 2) What is the function of the file "Gemfile.lock". Should it be copied over or will it be generated?      Thanks,           Barney

Let me answer your 2nd question first. The Gemfile.lock specifies the versions of each gem that were selected to satisfy the dependency graph. You should copy it over (actually, you should check it into the repository; you are using a code repository, right?) and then a bundle install will use those versions. Without Gemfile.lock, it builds a new dependency graph, either with gems it finds or gems that it installs, and constructs a new Gemfile.lock with the results.

You can also run `bundle package` to put all the .gem files into vendor/cache/ (by default) which can also be kept in the repository.

Copy the Gemfile.lock over and see if `bundle install` doesn't just solve your problem.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/ rab@GaslightSoftware.com http://GaslightSoftware.com/

Thanks, Rob. I'll copy over my original tomorrow morning. Is there anything special I have to know if I still need to start over (in terms of being careful to delete certain things that uninstall didn't uninstall, etc.)?      Barney

The bundle install will very likely be all you need. It will install additional versions of gems if the one that you got originally on the new machine is different. Then you will almost certainly want to use `bundle install _cmd_` whenever you run a _cmd_ that needs gems to be sure that you're getting the right version(s).

-Rob

Hi All,

In trying to port a working version from one computer to another

I had installed the requisites and copied over the files in the rails

project. However one method wouldn’t work and it was because the gem

involved wouldn’t work with the newest rails. After uninstalling

rails, reinstalling an earlier version and playing with DevKit, et.

al., I’ve managed to fubar the project so that now it even claims it

can’t find rubygems. So I’m inclined to uninstall gems, the devkit

and rails and then copy over the code again, essentially starting

over.

Question 1) what is the proper method of uninstalling those 3?

Question 2) What is the function of the file “Gemfile.lock”. Should

it be copied over or will it be generated?

Thanks,

Barney

Let me answer your 2nd question first. The Gemfile.lock specifies the

versions of each gem that were selected to satisfy the dependency

graph. You should copy it over (actually, you should check it into the

repository; you are using a code repository, right?) and then a bundle

install will use those versions. Without Gemfile.lock, it builds a

new dependency graph, either with gems it finds or gems that it

installs, and constructs a new Gemfile.lock with the results.

You can also run bundle package to put all the .gem files into

vendor/cache/ (by default) which can also be kept in the repository.

Copy the Gemfile.lock over and see if bundle install doesn’t just

solve your problem.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn

R...@AgileConsultingLLC.com http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/

r...@GaslightSoftware.com http://GaslightSoftware.com/

Thanks, Rob. I’ll copy over my original tomorrow morning.

Is there anything special I have to know if I still need to start over

(in terms of being careful to delete certain things that uninstall

didn’t uninstall, etc.)?

Barney

The bundle install will very likely be all you need. It will install additional versions of gems if the one that you got originally on the new machine is different. Then you will almost certainly want to use bundle install _cmd_ whenever you run a cmd that needs gems to be sure that you’re getting the right version(s).

I presume this last sentence has a typo. I presume you intended to say … " use bundle exec _cmd_ whenever " …

Like this:

$ bundle install rake environment # probably incorrect

“install” was called incorrectly. Call as “bundle install”.

$ bundle exec rake environment # this is you first test that should pass

HTH,

Peter

Hi All, In trying to port a working version from one computer to another I had installed the requisites and copied over the files in the rails project. However one method wouldn’t work and it was because the gem involved wouldn’t work with the newest rails. After uninstalling rails, reinstalling an earlier version and playing with DevKit, et. al., I’ve managed to fubar the project so that now it even claims it can’t find rubygems. So I’m inclined to uninstall gems, the devkit and rails and then copy over the code again, essentially starting over. Question 1) what is the proper method of uninstalling those 3? Question 2) What is the function of the file “Gemfile.lock”. Should it be copied over or will it be generated? Thanks, Barney

Let me answer your 2nd question first. The Gemfile.lock specifies the versions of each gem that were selected to satisfy the dependency graph. You should copy it over (actually, you should check it into the repository; you are using a code repository, right?) and then a bundle install will use those versions. Without Gemfile.lock, it builds a new dependency graph, either with gems it finds or gems that it installs, and constructs a new Gemfile.lock with the results.

You can also run bundle package to put all the .gem files into vendor/cache/ (by default) which can also be kept in the repository.

Copy the Gemfile.lock over and see if bundle install doesn’t just solve your problem.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn R...@AgileConsultingLLC.com http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/ r...@GaslightSoftware.com http://GaslightSoftware.com/

Thanks, Rob. I’ll copy over my original tomorrow morning. Is there anything special I have to know if I still need to start over (in terms of being careful to delete certain things that uninstall didn’t uninstall, etc.)? Barney

The bundle install will very likely be all you need. It will install additional versions of gems if the one that you got originally on the new machine is different. Then you will almost certainly want to use bundle install _cmd_ whenever you run a cmd that needs gems to be sure that you’re getting the right version(s).

I presume this last sentence has a typo. I presume you intended to say … " use bundle exec _cmd_ whenever " …

Like this:

$ bundle install rake environment # probably incorrect

“install” was called incorrectly. Call as “bundle install”.

$ bundle exec rake environment # this is you first test that should pass

HTH,

Peter

Ah, yes. Thank you for catching that, Peter.

-Rob