frustrated noob

Hello,

So I'm yet-another-noob trying to learn RoR. Here is my question...

Last night I was having all kinds of trouble getting layouts to work. I was searching google, learning about automatic layout assignments, and following directions. No matter what I did I couldn't get my layout to show up in the browser. When I woke up in the morning and hit "refresh" - BOOM there was my layout.

So my question is: what gives? I'm working with Rails 2.1 in production mode. I'm running on LAMP but I don't have sudo. Is there a command to refresh/reset rails that I should be using? Did the webserver restart?

Thanks alot!

Hello,

So I'm yet-another-noob trying to learn RoR. Here is my question...

Last night I was having all kinds of trouble getting layouts to
work. I was searching google, learning about automatic layout assignments, and following directions. No matter what I did I couldn't get my layout
to show up in the browser. When I woke up in the morning and hit
"refresh" - BOOM there was my layout.

So my question is: what gives? I'm working with Rails 2.1 in
production mode. I'm running on LAMP but I don't have sudo. Is there a
command to refresh/reset rails that I should be using? Did the webserver
restart?

in production mode changes won't take effect until you restart
whatever is running your rails code, which is why most people will
develop in development mode where changes will normally take effect
immediately.

Fred

So assuming I have to be in production mode then how would i "restart whatever is running my rails code" ?? thanks

So assuming I have to be in production mode then how would i "restart whatever is running my rails code" ?? thanks

If your running your application with Mongrel, then you would restart the Mongrel instance, or instances.

Incidentally, why would you have to use production mode to develop your application? How are you testing? Are you testing? Rails provides these three environments because each is configured to help with each of the three primary stages of development (code, test and deploy).

Leif Elan wrote:

Thanks Robert. This is resolved. I just had to restart the fastcgi process.

And to answer your questions... I'm not running MOngrel. I'm on apache under linux. I don't have sudo so I can't restart the webserver. But I am running my own fastcgi so I can restart that and that worked.

Also, I can't run in development mode because the hosting company says it slows down the server too much.

Robert Walker wrote:

Oh! Well that makes more sense. It sounded like you were developing your application in production mode. But, I see you're actually talking about your deployment, which definitely should be running in production mode.

Also, sorry to hear that your only option is FastCGI. But, that's a whole other story. :slight_smile:

Leif Elan wrote:

For what it's worth, you might find it easier to develop your application on your local desktop rather than a live server especially if you don't have root access or control over which environment you are running.

RSL