firebug jQuery undefined message in rails app

In rails app, I add the following line of code in application.js and I get jQuery is not defined in firebug console. In application.html.erb, I have the following: <script type="text/javascript" src="../javascripts/application.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="../javascripts/jquery-1.4.2.js"></script>

and I installed jquery in public/javascripts

Any ideas what's going wrong? thanks for reply.

(function($) {

var linksToInt = {         "#pple": 0,         "#serv": 1,         "#sol": 2,         "#dash": 3,         "#adm": 4,         "#inv": 5,         "#stu": 6

}

/*     links = document.getElementsByTagName("a");     if(links.className.indexOf("div-link") > -1){         links.onclick = function{ removeHash(this.getAttribute("href"));};     }     */

$("a.div-link").click(function(){displayDiv($(this).attr("href"));});

function displayDiv(id){     var linkInt = linksToInt[id];     on_btn_click(linkInt);     }

function on_btn_click(displayDiv){         displayDiv != null ? null : this;

switch(displayDiv){             case 0:                 $(content).empty();                 $(displayDiv).show();                 break;             case 1:                 $(content).empty();                 $(displayDiv).show();                 break;             case 2:                 $(content).empty();                 $(displayDiv).show();                 break;             case 3:                 $(content).empty();                 $(displayDiv).show();                 break;             case 4:                 $(content).empty();                 $(displayDiv).show();                 break;             case 5:                 $(content).empty();                 $(displayDiv).show();                 break;             case 6:                 $(content).empty();                 $(displayDiv).show();                 break;         }     }

})(jQuery);

Does anyone have a step by step instruction on how to remove prototype completely so jQuery works? The jRails plugin seems to make them work together. I want to remove prototype as I will never use it. Thanks

Actually stepcarousel.js which uses jquery is working in the application so I don't think there is a conflict with prototype. However I still get the error jquery is undefined.

John Merlino wrote:

Does anyone have a step by step instruction on how to remove prototype completely so jQuery works?

Sure: 1. Remove public/javascripts/prototype.js. 2. There is no step 2.

The jRails plugin seems to make them work together. I want to remove prototype as I will never use it.

Perhaps unwise. After some experimentation with both, I'm include to believe that Prototype may be the better of the two. I want to play with both a little more before I state that as fact, though.

Thanks

Best,

First, try:

"<script type="text/javascript" src="/javascripts/application.js"></script>"

Instead of

"<script type="text/javascript" src="../javascripts/application.js"></script>"

Else:

"javascript_include_tag :all"

You can set :recursive => true if you want Rails to search all subdirectories of public/javascripts.