Find the gems and plugins used in Rails Application

Hi all!!

I want to copy my Rails Application to another computer. How can i make all the gems and plug-ins used in my computer available to the other computer without having to install each one seperatly again???

Is there a way to see only the gems and plugins used in my app not the gems i see when i run e.g gem-list command???

Thanx in advance Kostas L.

You should be specifying the gems used in your environment.rb file (using config.gem)

Then you can run "rake gems" to view all the required gems (aside from rails) for your application or "rake gems:install" to install all those on your other machine.

Ok thanx Litwin i'll give it a try!

Yes please!

If you just want to see what your app is using and you haven't used config gem with the versions set, you can use the console and run:

Rails.configuration.gems.sort{|a,b| a.specification.name <=> b.specification.name}.collect{|g| "#{g.specification.name} - # {g.specification.version}"}

@Litwin: if i specify the gems in the environment.rb file, when i transfer the application and run gems:install all these gems will install automatically to the machine?? Thanx

@xiexie11: i dont want only to see the gems used from the app, i want to know how to make them available when i transfer the app to another computer

Thanx

@xiexie11: i dont want only to see the gems used from the app, i want to know how to make them available when i transfer the app to another computer

Thanx

If one of your gem is compiled, then you'll run in troubles if the target computer is not the same as the source computer.