find in model

Hi guys

My client asked me to do all the Model.find() in Model class i.e all database interaction should be in model class and not in controller I don’t know how to do that

I need to pass details from html to model and do database work and send back to view

I need some help

Any sample link or any advice ?

Quoting karthik k <cse.k.karthik@gmail.com>:

Hi guys

My client asked me to do all the Model.find() in Model class i.e all database interaction should be in model class and not in controller I don't know how to do that

I need to pass details from html to model and do database work and send back to view

I need some help

Uhh, get a new client? If the client knows enough to dictate that level of programming, either they don't need you or you don't need them.

But less cynically, ask them what they are trying to accomplish by this. Some guru told them the "One True Way"? It may be reasonable to require all SQL be in the model class. The whole purpose of the find() method is to program database access in Ruby without knowing SQL.

The crude, ask no questions response is to take pluck out every find() call and a reasonable amount of context in the controller and wrap it in a method in the model and call that.

But, I would really try and get some clarification on why and what they expect to accomplish by this change. On the face of it, it seems very unreasonable.

HTH,   Jeffrey

Karthik Kantharaj wrote:

Hi guys

My client asked me to do all the Model.find() in Model class i.e all database interaction should be in model class and not in controller I don't know how to do that

I need some help

-- Karthik.k Mobile - +91-9894991640

Write class methods in Model. Call those from Controllers by passing the arguments.

controller method

def example   User.method_name(arg1,arg2) end

In User Model

def self.method_name(parm1,param2)   write your find here end

Thanks Siva

Hi Jeffrey

thank you

we have lot of database interaction in the controller

e.g

def searchagency @status=params[:status] #@status

@agency=params[:agency][:agency_id]       #@agency
@contract=params[:agency][:contracts_id]  #@contract 
@state=params[:agency][:state_id]         #@state
  if @status=='deleted'
    if !@contract.blank? && !@state.blank? && @agency.blank?

@agencies=Agency.all(:joins=>:contracts,
        :select=>"distinct agencies.*",:conditions=>["contract_id = ? and agencies.state_id =? and agencies.deleted=?",@contract,@state,1])

render :partial=>"agencysearchdisplay" 
    elsif !@agency.blank?  && !@state.blank? && @contract.blank?       

etc

The above method is in controller so i need to write all the below code in model

if !@contract.blank? && !@state.blank? && @agency.blank?

:select=>"distinct

agencies.*",:conditions=>[“contract_id = ? and agencies.state_id =? and agencies.deleted=?”,@contract,@state,1])

render :partial=>"agencysearchdisplay" 

elsif !@agency.blank?  && !@state.blank? && @contract.blank?       

and just retrieve the result and display in html I need to write a method in model and access it from controller

This is what we need

Guide me

Hi Guys

Thank you

Quoting karthik k <cse.k.karthik@gmail.com>: [snip]

Hi Jeffrey

thank you

we have lot of database interaction in the controller

e.g

def searchagency     @status=params[:status] #@status     @agency=params[:agency][:agency_id] #@agency     @contract=params[:agency][:contracts_id] #@contract     @state=params[:agency][:state_id] #@state       if @status=='deleted'         if !@contract.blank? && !@state.blank? && @agency.blank?             @agencies=Agency.all(:joins=>:contracts,             :select=>"distinct agencies.*",:conditions=>["contract_id = ? and agencies.state_id =? and agencies.deleted=?",@contract,@state,1])             render :partial=>"agencysearchdisplay"

[snip] Use named scopes:

def searchagency   @status=params[:status] #@status   @agency=params[:agency][:agency_id] #@agency   @contract=params[:agency][:contracts_id] #@contract   @state=params[:agency][:state_id] #@state   if @status=='deleted'     @agencies = Agency.all_deleted(@contract, @state)     if !@contract.blank? && !@state.blank? && @agency.blank?       render :partial=>"agencysearchdisplay

in model class

named_scope :all_deleted, lambda {|contract, state|     {:joins => :contracts,      :select => "distinct agencies.*",      :conditions =>          ["contract_id = ? AND agencies.state_id =? AND agencies.deleted=?",      contract, state, 1]   }

HTH,   Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey

Thank you i will learn about named_scope

Hi Jeffrey

There is an excellent Railscast on named_scope. My Internet connection won't stay up long enough to check, but I think the URL is www.railscast.com.

Jeffrey

URL of Railscast is http://railscasts.com/. Episode 108.

Hi Guys

I tried to use named_scope and i am successful in doing that

I need to know one thing about self

Below used in definition

Model Employee

Below used in definition

Model Employee -------------- def self.list find(:all) end

In some case it is used inside

Model Employee -------------- def list self.find(:all) end

So please let me know what is the reason behind this, using in two different way

self is the implicit receiver, ie calling self.find(:all) is the same as calling find(:all). Sometimes it is useful to make it obvious what you are doing

def self.list ... end

creates a class method. The second example you gave probably wouldn't run, unless the model had an instance method called find. More likely is that you find something like that inside a

class << self   def list     ...   end end

in which case it is identical to the first example

Fred

Model Employee -------------- def self.list find(:all) end

This is a class method inside Employee Model. it can also be written as

def Employee.list     find(:all)   end

This kind of methods can be called without the instance of the Model class.

In some case it is used inside

Model Employee -------------- def list self.find(:all) end

This one is Instance method of Model class Employee