find_by_sql order by date field issue

I have a giant query that union around 10 tables together. Each of the queries consists of joins too. At the end I do a order by date field, time field. If I run this query in SQL alone it works just fine and if I run it on RoR it works except the order is off. I am not sure why!

Some of the time fields are blank and that may be part of the issue but I understand it can be an eager loading issue. anyone have any idea how to get around this problem?

I have a giant query that union around 10 tables together. Each of the queries consists of joins too. At the end I do a order by date field, time field. If I run this query in SQL alone it works just fine and if I run it on RoR it works except the order is off. I am not sure why!

Some of the time fields are blank and that may be part of the issue but I understand it can be an eager loading issue. anyone have any idea how to get around this problem?

Thanks for the idea. I tried and it looks exactly the same....

Thanks for the idea. I tried and it looks exactly the same....

It seems like RoR is ignoring the order by command on the SQL statement....or the data returned is not of type date. This is making me crazy! I am sure I will kick myself once it is fixed because it will be obvious.....

Just when I think it cannot get stranger it does. I can sort by anything but the date field. I wonder if I need to convert it to something else and it is looking at it as something other than DATE....hmmm

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone have any ideas?

If you could post a query which reproduces the problem (try and reduce
it to the minimal example) that would probably help because until now
it's just been handwaving.

Fred

Here is an extremely shortened example...

@ttemp1=Time.now      @year = @ttemp1.year      @month = @ttemp1.month      @day = @ttemp1.day

@temptdate=Time.parse(Time.now.to_s)   @tempsdate=@temptdate.to_date - 1   @tempedate=@temptdate.to_date + (@papreference[0].keyword.to_i - 1)

@events=Uat.find_by_sql("select appointmentrecs.AppointmentName as subject, appointmentrecs.id as linkid, appointmentrecs.StartDate as sdate, appointmentrecs.StartTime as sTime, appointmentrecs.TZEndDate as eDate, appointmentrecs.EndTime as eTime,appointmentrecs.Priority as DPriority, appointmentrecs.uat_id as uat_id, (removed code here) as link, CONCAT(keywords.keyword,'-',kw2.keyword) as lntype from appointmentrecs left join appointments on appointments.id=appointmentrecs.AppointmentParent left join keywords on appointments.RepeatAppointment=keywords.id left join keywords as kw2 on appointments.AppointmentType=kw2.id where (appointmentrecs.StartDate >= '"+@tempsdate.to_s+"' and appointmentrecs.StartDate <= '"+@tempedate.to_s+"') and appointmentrecs.uat_id="+session[:user_id].to_s+" and appointmentrecs.AppointmentParentLink<>'Y'     union     ....(there are around 10 union queries here but I removed them to shorten this)   select appointmentrecs.AppointmentName as subject, appointmentrecs.id as linkid, appointmentrecs.StartDate as sdate,appointmentrecs.StartTime as sTime, appointmentrecs.TZEndDate as eDate, appointmentrecs.EndTime as eTime,appointmentrecs.Priority as DPriority, appointmentrecs.uat_id as uat_id, (removed code here) as link, CONCAT(keywords.keyword,'-',kw2.keyword) as lntype from appointmentrecs left join appointments on appointments.id=appointmentrecs.AppointmentParent left join keywords on appointments.RepeatAppointment=keywords.id left join keywords as kw2 on appointments.AppointmentType=kw2.id where (appointmentrecs.StartDate >= '"+@tempsdate.to_s+"' and appointmentrecs.StartDate <= '"+@tempedate.to_s+"') and appointmentrecs.uat_id="+session[:user_id].to_s+" and appointmentrecs.AppointmentParentLink='Y' ORDER BY sdate,sTime")