find :all in subclass within STI finds parents instead

All,

I am relative new to Rails and struggle with following STI issue:

A parent class "Reading" has many subclasses "ElectricityReading", "GasReading", ...

I wrote a method in the Reading class to update calculated columns in each record, the logic goes like this:

1. Find first record

first = find(:first, :conditions => ["unit_id = ?", unit_id], :order => "date asc" ) # get values of some columns and store in local variables

2. Find all records, perform the calculations and store in calculated fields

find(:all, :conditions => ["unit_id = ?", unit_id], :order => "date asc" ).each do |r| # get column values of r, calculate and save

3. Controller calls the method after each create or entry ElectricityReading.calculate(unit_id)

The problem:

Instead of

SELECT * FROM "readings" WHERE (unit_id = 1) AND ( ("readings"."type" = 'ElectricityReading' ) Limit 1 SELECT * FROM "readings" WHERE (unit_id = 1) AND ( ("readings"."type" = 'ElectricityReading' )

I get

SELECT * FROM "readings" WHERE ("readings"."id" = '10') LIMIT 1 SELECT * FROM "readings" WHERE ("readings"."id" = '10')

So the calculations are performed on all Reading objects rather than only the ElectricityReading object.

The funny thing is that it seems to work as expected in the console, but fails as above using the built in server.

Is this a bug in STI? Would it be solved by using a different type of inheritance?

Check the lines in the log above SELECT * FROM "readings" WHERE ("readings"."id" = '10') LIMIT 1

Rails tends to break up long SQL statements into smaller ones. More information about your code snippet is required to make any guesses. Have a look at ActiveRecord::Associations::ClassMethods