find_all_by deprecated?

Is find_all_by deprecated and/or find_first_by for 2.0.2? If not, what is actually deprecated? just find_all(..) and find_first()? Thanks for clearing this up.

ray wrote:

Is find_all_by deprecated and/or find_first_by for 2.0.2? If not, what is actually deprecated? just find_all(..) and find_first()? Thanks for clearing this up.

I have never heard of a find_all or the others. I have always used something like find(:all). You can say find(:first) and even find(:one). I'm not sure if these are deprecated for Rails 2.0.2, I heard that some plugins were going to be deprecated. Not sure if this helps, but. . .

-S

Hi,

That's right - the dynamic finders (find_by_* and find_all_by_*) are not depreciated, but find_all and find_first are in favour of find(:all) and find(:first).

Steve

You should just use find(:all), and find(:first)

Why worry about the others when they're either depreciated, or you think they could be? They could end up getting depreciated later anyway?

Also, remember that find_by and find_all_by are not actually methods. That pattern is recognized inside method_missing and signifies that you want to have Rails add methods such as find_by_username("some_username"). This method does not exist until runtime. I imagine that find_all and find_first were deprecated to avoid confusion, and possibly to support future options other than :first and :all. Basically, using one find method and passing it options is cleaner than separate methods such as with find_all and find_first. Why have two methods when one reduces complexity and is more flexible?

Thanks.

Hi

If anybodies interested , I have got ruby on rails running with Openedge 10 on suse linux