Filters for finders

You can wrap a models find method inside a with_scope call. That way all calls to find will be scoped. Here is an example:

class SomeClass < ActiveRecord::Base   class << self     def find(*args)       self.with_scope(:find => {:conditions => "active>0"}) do         super       end     end   end

end

All calls to find will automatically have the "active>0" condition added.

If you access this class through an association from another class you could add a :conditions argument to the association. Here is an example:

class Menu < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :items, :conditions => 'active>0' end

class Item < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :menu end

@menu.items returns a list of active items. Now maybe you don't want to always block access to inactive items. You can create multiple named associations to the same class:

class Menu < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :items,   has_many :active_items, :class_name => "Item", :conditions => 'active>0' end

Admin users could use the items association while everyone else goes through active_items.

Aaron

Jon,

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make the dynamic finders respect the with_scope. You can avoid using dynamic finders, but that's prone to error. If you come up with something please let me know.

Aaron

Has anyone got any ideas on this one? I have a database table that is never accessed on it’s own, always by it’s relationships to other tables. So I need a series of models, all pointing at the same table, but that operate as if they are within a “with_scope”.

Just to give a fer-instance…

Table People. Table Homes with foreign key owner, pointing to People. I am not interested in People. I am only interested in HomeOwners.

I need something like

class Person < ActiveRecord::Bass end

class HomeOwner < Person def self.find(*args) with_scope( :find =>{ :conditions => “id in (select distinct(owner) from homes)” } ) do

super(*args)
end

end end

Only I need it to be scoped for all the dynamic finders, and count, etc.

Regards, Lori