Filecolumn resize help

Hi

I am using file column to upload and create some resized images however I can't figure out how to crop to a certain size.

What I want to do is take the uploaded image and create a thumb 110px x 85px. I want the thumb to be cropped and not be stretched.

I also want it to create a version 560px x 300px again cropping the image and not stretching it.

The uploaded image will sometimes be taller and sometimes wider.

Is this possible using file_column?

Any help much appreciated, its starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks

Jono.

I haven't used the cropping ability yet but I think there are a couple of examples on the file_column and the rmagick website. But, check out the following link that has a cropping example: http://addictedtonew.com/archives/127/rotating-images-with-rmagick-and-ruby-on-rails/

Cheers mohit.

Jono.Brain@... <Jono.Brain@...> writes:

What I want to do is take the uploaded image and create a thumb 110px x 85px. I want the thumb to be cropped and not be stretched.

I also want it to create a version 560px x 300px again cropping the image and not stretching it.

Assuming you have RMagick installed, this is easy :slight_smile:

file_column :photo, :rmagick => {           :versions => {             :thumb => {:crop => "110:85", :size => "110x"}, # :size => "WWxHH"                       # but either can be omitted if you want the other                       # dimension calculated             :medium => {:crop => "28:15", :size => "560x"} # :crop is a ratio                       # and cropping is done before resizing           }         }

Gareth

Hi Gareth/Mohit

Thankyou for your replies, this now makes perfect sense, the Aspect Ratio was confusing me before.

The code is at home so I will have to wait to try it, but I'm pretty confident this will do the jobs nicely.

Thanks

Jono.