File upload and doc type

I've made a file upload for word-files. It works fine. I also have a send_file for getting it from the server. But there must be something wrong with the file upload. When downloading it I can't open the file. The same if I fetch it via ftp, so it must be something about the upload and doc type. Any ideas?

Hi Pål,

Pål Bergström wrote:

I've made a file upload for word-files. It works fine. I also have a send_file for getting it from the server. But there must be something wrong with the file upload. When downloading it I can't open the file. The same if I fetch it via ftp, so it must be something about the upload and doc type. Any ideas?

I assume you're talking about MS-Word? If so, are treating them as binary? IIRC, you have to.

HTH, Bill

I assume you're talking about MS-Word? If so, are treating them as binary? IIRC, you have to.

HTH, Bill

Yes it's MS-Word. How do I make it binary?

I use this to create the file on the server:

File.open("#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/documents/#{filename}", "w+") { |f| f.write(thefile.read) }

In the db I add the file name in a varchar-field.

File.open("blah", "wb")

Only on a windows platform though.

julian wrote:

File.open("blah", "wb")

Only on a windows platform though.

class IO - RDoc Documentation

On Jul 18, 2:42�pm, P�l Bergstr�m <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Then "w+" should be ok I guess. What about this

{ |f| f.write(thefile.read) }

Is there something I do wrong there, that somehow makes it into something different than MS-Word?

Hi Pål,

Pål Bergström wrote:

julian wrote: > File.open("blah", "wb") > > Only on a windows platform though. > > class IO - RDoc Documentation > Then "w+" should be ok I guess. What about this

Did you try setting it to "wb"? I've never been clear about whether that "Windows-only" comment in the documentation referred to the server or the client. At any rate, I know from experience that using it doesn't hurt because I develop on Windows and deploy to Linux and had to use it to handle PDF's.

{ |f| f.write(thefile.read) }

Is there something I do wrong there, that somehow makes it into something different than MS-Word?

A couple of other thing occured to me that might be causing you problems. One is whether or not Word files have to be treated as multipart. The second is the difference between IO streams and tempfiles. Which one you get depends on the size of the file being uploaded and you have to handle them differently. Here's a snippet from some working code that uploads PDF files...

In the view:

<%= start_form_tag({:controller => 'transfer', :action => 'read_in'},                     :method => "post", :multipart => true) %>       <div class='Entryline'>         <label>File to Upload:&nbsp;</label>         <%= file_field_tag "file_to_upload", :size => 50 %>       </div>       <div>           <%= submit_tag value="Import file", :class => 'submit-btn', :disable_with => "Please Wait" %>      </div> <%= end_form_tag %>

In the read_in method in the controller:

if params[:file_to_upload].instance_of?(Tempfile)    FileUtils.copy(params[:file_to_upload].local_path, "#{RAILS_ROOT}/private/#{@filenametouse}") else   File.open("#{RAILS_ROOT}/private/#{@filenametouse}","wb"){|f|                    f.write(params[:file_to_upload].read)                    f.close} end

HTH, Bill

Bill Walton wrote:

if params[:file_to_upload].instance_of?(Tempfile)    FileUtils.copy(params[:file_to_upload].local_path, "#{RAILS_ROOT}/private/#{@filenametouse}") else   File.open("#{RAILS_ROOT}/private/#{@filenametouse}","wb"){|f|                    f.write(params[:file_to_upload].read)                    f.close} end

HTH, Bill

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Pål Bergström wrote:

Bill Walton wrote:

HTH, Bill

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Didn't work. The only diff is that I use w+ instead because it's a Mac OS server running Litespeed.

Hmm. Strange. Same problem with .rtf-files. Can it be something about the encoding?

If nothing else I'll have to solve it with php, but that would be very disappointing. Sourly it must be possible with Ruby / Rails to send what ever file you want to the server.

Sorry, but how hard can it be? Can Rails handle a file upload or not? I mean other than images and make them accessible by download.

Not hard at all, apparently. :slight_smile:

Since I'd never done this in Rails and knew I'll need it soon, I just created a new project (Rails 2.1), installed the attachment_fu plugin and, following this handy-dandy tutorial:   <http://clarkware.com/cgi/blosxom/2007/02/24#FileUploadFu&gt; :: created an upload tester in about 15 minutes.

I uploaded a Word (97, .doc) file and a PDF file. And then opened the stored files successfully.

So I think it's a given that Rails (or at least attachment_fu) can handle whatever binary file type you have. :slight_smile:

Have you compared checksums of the two versions of the file you're having trouble with? Are you *sure* you downloaded it using FTP *in binary mode*?

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM,

I uploaded a Word (97, .doc) file and a PDF file. And then opened the stored files successfully.

So I think it's a given that Rails (or at least attachment_fu) can handle whatever binary file type you have. :slight_smile:

Have you compared checksums of the two versions of the file you're having trouble with? Are you *sure* you downloaded it using FTP *in binary mode*?

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com

If attachment_fu works then it should work. I would like to learn it myself without any plugin. I believe I will learn more from that, and to be more free to what I want to do.

It's binary.

The problem is uploading. No problem downloading a "good" file that's been uploaded by ftp.

OK, so there's something wrong with your upload code -- you might be able to get some insight by looking at how attachment_fu does it, but whatever.

As I said, comparing checksums would be my first move. Maybe try a couple of small text files, too, just for comparison.

Good luck,

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

if params[:file_to_upload].instance_of?(Tempfile)    FileUtils.copy(params[:file_to_upload].local_path, "#{RAILS_ROOT}/private/#{@filenametouse}") else   File.open("#{RAILS_ROOT}/private/#{@filenametouse}","wb"){|f|                    f.write(params[:file_to_upload].read)                    f.close}

Can't get .local_path to work. Is that a rails method or something from Ruby?