file_column outside of form use

I’m having trouble wrapping my head around how to do this.

If I have photo and photoset models with an :image file_column in photo, how do I process a directory of photos, rather than one at at time through a form, what’s the syntax?

ps = Photoset.new Dir.glob(‘*.jpg’).each do |f| p = Photo.new p.image = f <--------- This is the linkage I don’t believe is this easy? ps.images << p end

Anyone else done something like this? Google and list archive search haven’t done it for me.

Fluffy Hippo wrote:

p.image = f <--------- This is the linkage I don't believe is this easy?

It might be that easy. I would test. There is a part of file_column called file_compat.rb that has a comment which says this:

# This bit of code allows you to pass regular old files to # file_column. file_column depends on a few extra methods that the # CGI uploaded file class adds. We will add the equivalent methods # to file objects if necessary by extending them with this module. This # avoids opening up the standard File class which might result in # naming conflicts.

So give it a try. It might just work. The comments in the plugin indicate it should be supported.

Eric

Almost that easy … you have to pass a File object instead of a string and then it works fine.

Using your variables …

fh = File.open(f) p.image = fh p.save