[Feature proposal] Customize SQL table name depending on the operation (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE DELETE)

I have a specific use case where some of my model tables are in fact views. I use views to aggregate data from different sources in a single model table. More specifically, I have local rows and remote rows fetched from a remote database that I want read-only. local rows are writable. For the rows that are writable, I’d like to make use of Active Record to insert, update or delete those rows.

Because the underlying table is a non trivial view, the view itself is non updatable, so I’d like to tell Active Record to use a different table name when performing an INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE operation.

Looking at the code it seems relatively simple to hook in the right place. I started writing an implementation here: activerecord: Implement different table names for different operations by mildred · Pull Request #42712 · rails/rails · GitHub. I haven’t fixed all tests yet (I need to set up a dev environment first).

I’d like to gather feedback about this feature (I started opening an issue but was redirected here). Is it going to be accepted as a feature? If not, can the code around this feature be organized in a way that it’s possible to override a method to manually implement it. Specifically, I added an argument to the arel_table method to allow implementing this method and return a different result depending of the operation type.

Mildred,

I would package your code up as a gem – Make your own gem - RubyGems Guides – or, if your needs are to integrate deeper into rails, an engine – Create Your First Rails Engine | HocNest Product Studio – were I you. If you should require further assistance, I will shortly take a look at your pull request and see what’s involved and be able to help you further. Let me know? – H