<false> is not true failure in unit test

Hi, I've done as follows:

MODEL:

Assuming the failure is on the last assertion it's probably because you've never set family_rate, but your validation asserts that it is greater than 0.01. You could stick a breakpoint before the test fails and poke around to see exactly why the object is not valid (or just print the errors object to the screen or something like that.

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Assuming the failure is on the last assertion it's probably because you've never set family_rate, but your validation asserts that it is greater than 0.01. You could stick a breakpoint before the test fails and poke around to see exactly why the object is not valid (or just print the errors object to the screen or something like that.

Thanks fred. Sorry, actually I tried valdating family_rate as well defining method test_positive_family_rate similar to test_positive_perpersonrate method. When I tried with family_rate as well I got two failures. And about sticking the breakpoint I'm not sure how to do..

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Thanks fred. Sorry, actually I tried valdating family_rate as well defining method test_positive_family_rate similar to test_positive_perpersonrate method. When I tried with family_rate as well I got two failures. And about sticking the breakpoint I'm not
sure how to do..

Adding an extra test isn't going to help. Your test isn't passing
because your object is not valid

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Adding an extra test isn't going to help. Your test isn't passing because your object is not valid

Fred

Where am I wrong? Here's how I've done...

IN MODEL:

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Adding an extra test isn't going to help. Your test isn't passing because your object is not valid

Fred

Where am I wrong? Here's how I've done...

Print out the object's errors and you'll see

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Fred

sorry how do i do that?

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Fred

sorry how do i do that?

Look at foo.errors

Something like puts foo.errors.inspect should do the trick.

Or stick debugger

In an appropriate part of your test. When you hit that line you'll
drop into the debugger

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Look at foo.errors

Or stick debugger

In an appropriate part of your test. When you hit that line you'll drop into the debugger

I put the fee.errors.detect at:

def test_positive_perpersonrate fee=Fee.new .................. .................. puts fee.errors.detect end

but it doesn't print anything except that already showing error message.. thanks

As Fred mentioned earlier, you need to set family_rate to something valid, which accdg to your model validation should be a number greater than or equal to 0.01.

Otherwise the last assert fee.valid? will return false. You may have set a valid per_person_rate, but since family_rate is nil, the object will not be valid.

So looking at your test again, you can do this:

def test_positive_perpersonrate    fee=Fee.new(:family_rate => 1.0) #provide a valid value for family_rate

fee.per_person_rate = -1.0    assert !fee.valid?    assert_equal "should be greater than 0", fee.errors.on(:per_person_rate)

fee.per_person_rate = 0.0    assert !fee.valid?    assert_equal "should be greater than 0", fee.errors.on(:per_person_rate)

fee.per_person_rate = 1.0    assert fee.valid? end

Hope this helps.

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Look at foo.errors

Or stick debugger

In an appropriate part of your test. When you hit that line you'll drop into the debugger

I put the fee.errors.detect at:

def test_positive_perpersonrate fee=Fee.new .................. .................. puts fee.errors.detect end

but it doesn't print anything except that already showing error message..

Why would it? I said inspect, not detect. Also you have to put it just
before the failing assertion.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote: