Faking it... import local files into attachment_fu

Hello,

I'm working on an import utility that will match the functionality of uploading an object of a model that uses attachment_fu for thumbnailing, etc.

Rather than uploading the file via a form, I want to populate the params[:image][:uploaded_data] with data from a file already on the server's file system.

So far, I've been able to copy to an instance of Tempfile via the copy_to_temp_file method I jacked from attachment_fu and pass that as the value of :uploaded_data, but attachment_fu is still not happy. The Tempfile created via a multipart form and a browser has content_type set, as well as having the path be how the object is identified (i.e. - #<File:/tmp/file/path>).

I feel like I've either reached a dead end and I have to explore setting size, original_filename, and content_type explicitly in the new method parameters or that I'm just bumping up against my ignorance and there is a better way I don't know about.

Recommendations?

I noticed that there are mechanisms for this fake out in testing code, perhaps I'll give them another look.

Cheers, Walter McGinnis http://blog.katipo.co.nz/

Add this to your has_attachment class Let me know how it works

def local_file=(local_file_path, content_type = nil)     @@image_mime_types ||= {                                          ".gif" => "image/gif",                                          ".ief" => "image/ief",                                          ".jpe" => "image/jpeg",                                          ".jpeg" => "image/jpeg",                                          ".jpg" => "image/jpeg",                                          ".pbm" => "image/x-portable- bitmap",                                          ".pgm" => "image/x-portable- graymap",                                          ".png" => "image/png",                                          ".pnm" => "image/x-portable- anymap",                                          ".ppm" => "image/x-portable- pixmap",                                          ".ras" => "image/cmu-raster",                                          ".rgb" => "image/x-rgb",                                          ".tif" => "image/tiff",                                          ".tiff" => "image/tiff",                                          ".xbm" => "image/x-xbitmap",                                          ".xpm" => "image/x-xpixmap",                                          ".xwd" => "image/x- xwindowdump",                                        }.freeze     content_type ||= @@image_mime_types[File.extname(local_file_path)]     raise "Unrecognized MIME type for #{local_file_path}" unless content_type     self.uploaded_data = LocalUploadedFile.new(local_file_path, content_type)   end

# Taken from action_controller/test_process.rb   # Essentially generates a modified Tempfile object similar to the object   # you'd get from the standard library CGI module in a multipart   # request. This means you can use an ActionController::TestUploadedFile   # object in the params of a test request in order to simulate   # a file upload.   require 'tempfile'   class LocalUploadedFile     # The filename, *not* including the path, of the "uploaded" file     attr_reader :original_filename

# The content type of the "uploaded" file     attr_reader :content_type

def initialize(path, content_type = 'text/plain')       raise "#{path} file does not exist" unless File.exist?(path)       @content_type = content_type       @original_filename = path.sub(/^.*#{File::SEPARATOR} ([^#{File::SEPARATOR}]+)$/) { $1 }       @tempfile = Tempfile.new(@original_filename)       FileUtils.copy_file(path, @tempfile.path)     end

def path #:nodoc:       @tempfile.path     end

alias local_path path

def method_missing(method_name, *args, &block) #:nodoc:       @tempfile.send(method_name, *args, &block)     end   end

I have a similar problem, but now I'm using file_column.

mcginniwa: did it worked properly?

Or maybe someone knows how to make it works with file_column plugin?

I don't know if it's the right way to do this, but it works:

Asset.create :temp_path => File.new("/home/bruno/wallpaper.png"), :filename => 'wallpaper.png', :content_type => 'image/png'

Yep. That was what basically worked for me. Check out 613 through 618 in this file for actual code:

http://development.kete.net.nz/kete/repository/file/trunk/lib/workers/past_perfect4_importer_worker.rb

Cheers, Walter