fails ruby-ldap on ubuntu 10.04

Hi,    I tried to install ruby-ldap 0.9.9 on ubuntu 10.04 with ruby 1.8.7. but i get the error. can anyone help me out?

Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing ruby-ldap:   ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb --with-openldap2 checking for ldap.h... no checking for lber.h... no checking for ldap_ssl.h... no *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:   --with-opt-dir   --without-opt-dir   --with-opt-include   --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include   --with-opt-lib   --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib   --with-make-prog   --without-make-prog   --srcdir=.   --curdir   --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8   --with-netscape   --without-netscape   --without-netscape   --with-openldap1   --without-openldap1   --without-openldap1   --with-openldap2   --without-openldap2   --without-openldap2   --with-wldap32   --without-wldap32   --without-wldap32   --with-ldap-dir   --without-ldap-dir   --with-ldap-include   --without-ldap-include=${ldap-dir}/include   --with-ldap-lib   --without-ldap-lib=${ldap-dir}/lib   --with-ldap-dir   --without-ldap-dir   --without-ldap-dir   --with-ldap   --without-ldap   --without-ldap   --with-libresolv   --without-libresolv   --without-libresolv   --with-libcrypto   --without-libcrypto   --without-libcrypto   --with-libssl   --without-libssl   --without-libssl   --with-libpthread   --without-libpthread   --without-libpthread   --with-libnsl   --without-libnsl   --without-libnsl   --with-liblber   --without-liblber   --without-liblber   --with-libldap_r   --without-libldap_r   --without-libldap_r   --with-libldap   --without-libldap   --without-libldap can't find ldap.h and lber.h use the option '--with-ldap-dir'!

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-ldap-0.9.9 for inspection. Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-ldap-0.9.9/gem_make.out

Hi,

I had the same error. The ruby-ldap gem required a library called libldap2-dev to work.

Try sudo apt-get install libldap2-dev and then try installing the gem again.