Faild to build RMagick

Hi all,

for first sorry for my english.

Recently I've updated my Mac to El Capitan and re-installed (with Homebrew) ImageMagick 6.9.2-7

Unfortunately bundle install seems doesn't work becaus RMagick fail to build.

Here the stack trace:

[CODE] Gem::Ext::BuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/bin/ruby -r ./siteconf20151204-39308-uw4m6y.rb extconf.rb checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.5... yes checking for /usr/local/opt/gcc46/bin/gcc-4.6... yes checking for Magick-config... yes checking for ImageMagick version >= 6.4.9... yes checking for HDRI disabled version of ImageMagick... yes checking for stdint.h... *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:   --with-opt-dir   --with-opt-include   --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include   --with-opt-lib   --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib   --with-make-prog   --without-make-prog   --srcdir=.   --curdir   --ruby=/Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/bin/ruby /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:381:in `try_do': The compiler failed to generate an executable file. (RuntimeError) You have to install development tools first.   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:506:in `try_cpp'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:931:in `block in have_header'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:790:in `block in checking_for'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:284:in `block (2 levels) in postpone'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:254:in `open'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:284:in `block in postpone'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:254:in `open'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:280:in `postpone'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:789:in `checking_for'   from /Users/yuriredaelli/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/mkmf.rb:930:in `have_header'   from extconf.rb:194:in `<main>'

extconf failed, exit code 1

[/CODE]

I've tried several different solutions founded on Internet but nothing seems to fix this error.

With the operations below I receive always the errore above:

1) C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.2-7/include/ImageMagick-6/ gem install rmagick -v '2.13.2'

2) gem install rmagick --version=2.13.2 --platform=ruby -- --with-opt-lib="h:/ImageMagick-6.9.2-7/lib" --with-opt-include="h:/ImageMagick-6.9.2-7/include"

3) $ cd /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.2-7/lib $ ln -s libMagick++-Q16.6.dylib libMagick++.dylib $ ln -s libMagickCore-Q16.2.dylib libMagickCore.dylib $ ln -s libMagickWand-Q16.2.dylib libMagickWand.dylib

The error still the same: "The compiler failed to generate an executable file. (RuntimeError) You have to install development tools first."

I've also updated xcoce to 7.1.1

I'm using ruby-1.9.3-p327 with RVM

Thanks in advance.

Hi Yuri,

Maybe you’re missing to accept the terms in Xcode. Open the program and see if it shows a license for you to accept.

If this don’t work you might want to try to install the command line tools from the apple developers site: https://developer.apple.com. Look for “Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 7.1”.

Hope it works,

Marco

Marco Antonio Almeida wrote in post #1179662:

Hi Yuri,

Maybe you're missing to accept the terms in Xcode. Open the program and see if it shows a license for you to accept.

If this don't work you might want to try to install the command line tools from the apple developers site: https://developer.apple.com. Look for "Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 7.1".

Hope it works, Marco

Thanks Marco but I've already accepted the terms and the Command line tools is already installed too.

I don't understand what is "Development tool" about the phrase: ... "You have to install development tools first" ... It'a about XCode or about a particular missing Libray?

Thanks again.

I don't understand what is "Development tool" about the phrase: ... "You have to install development tools first" ... It'a about XCode or about a particular missing Libray?

It's a slightly generic message. The build process generates some mini test programs and tries to compile them, in order to verify things about your environment (eg is there a C compiler, does it support certain features etc.)

The fact that it passed some of the checks probably means it's not as simple as there being so developer tools. Stdint.h is something that should be installed with the compiler toolchain - to understand further you need to find the compiler error messages. This should be logged somewhere - normally a failed gem extension build will output where it has put the error output

Fred

Hi all,

re-installing Ruby 1.9.3 through RVM seems solved the issue.

Thanks.