Extra Characters in Find?

Hi-

I'm trying to submit a query through active record, and when I watch the development log to see what is getting passed in, I see something like this:

SELECT * FROM "my_model" WHERE (some_name LIKE E'%search%')

Is the "E" character supposed to be there? I am not getting results returned and I don't know where that is coming from. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm trying to submit a query through active record, and when I watch the development log to see what is getting passed in, I see something like this:

SELECT * FROM "my_model" WHERE (some_name LIKE E'%search%')

Is the "E" character supposed to be there? I am not getting results returned and I don't know where that is coming from. Any ideas?

Are you using PostgreSQL? If so...

PostgreSQL also accepts "escape" string constants, which are an extension to the SQL standard. An escape string constant is specified by writing the letter E (upper or lower case) just before the opening single quote, e.g. E'foo'. (When continuing an escape string constant across lines, write E only before the first opening quote.) Within an escape string, a backslash character (\) begins a C-like backslash escape sequence, in which the combination of backslash and following character(s) represents a special byte value. \b is a backspace, \f is a form feed, \n is a newline, \r is a carriage return, \t is a tab. Also supported are \digits, where digits represents an octal byte value, and \xhexdigits, where hexdigits represents a hexadecimal byte value. (It is your responsibility that the byte sequences you create are valid characters in the server character set encoding.) Any other character following a backslash is taken literally. Thus, to include a backslash character, write two backslashes (\\). Also, a single quote can be included in an escape string by writing \', in addition to the normal way of ''.