Exception handling is driving me nuts.

I am utterly unable to control how exceptions are handled in my application and it's driving me nuts

The idea is simple. I have a SOAP handler like this.

class RtiController < ApplicationController

begin      wsdl_service_name 'Rti'      web_service_scaffold :invoke      web_service_api RtiApi

before_invocation :authenticate

include SoapMethods

protected

def authenticate (name, args)         #the first two arguments are always username and password         generic_login(args[0], args[1])         unless logged_in?            raise Exceptions::LoginFailedError , "LoginFailedError: Invalid user name or password"         end      end

rescue Exception => e      n = e.exception "#{e.inspect}: #{e.message}"      n.set_backtrace      raise n   end end

Simple right?

If any error gets raised either in the authenticate function or any of the functions in the included module I want to catch them and re-raise a new error.

The rescue block never gets called no matter where the error happens.

Next I try this.

def rescue_action do the same thing above end

Nope it never gets called either.

So I try this

rescue_from Exception do |e|         n = e.exception "#{e.inspect}: #{e.message}"        n.set_backtrace        raise n end

I also tried rescue_from SomeSpecificException and that doesn't work either.

I also tried putting a begin rescue block in the included module and that doesn't do anything either.

Why is this so complicated? I just want a error handler for this controller. Is actionwebservice messing with the controller or what?

P.S. I am using the datanoise actionwebservice.

I'm new to Rails, so I'll preface this by saying that I might be wrong, but you can give it a shot. I believe you have to have a "begin" and "rescue" within your methods, not surrounding them as you illustrated above. So your authenticate method might look like this:

def authenticate (name, args)   begin   #the first two arguments are always username and password   generic_login(args[0], args[1])   unless logged_in?     raise Exceptions::LoginFailedError , "LoginFailedError:     Invalid user name or password"   end   rescue Exception => e      n = e.exception "#{e.inspect}: #{e.message}"      n.set_backtrace      raise n   end end

Since you'll probably have multiple methods that require error handling, I think you can define an error handling method outside of each of your other methods. Instead of processing the exception separately within each method's rescue function, your rescue functions would instead call the error handling method. See below. Not 100% sure this is kosher, but it's worth a shot...and let me know if it works, I'm going to be building error handling into my app fairly soon :slight_smile:

def method_1   begin     #code   rescue Exception => e     process_exception(e)   end end

def process_exception(e)   #code for handling exception end

end

I am utterly unable to control how exceptions are handled in my application and it's driving me nuts

The idea is simple. I have a SOAP handler like this.

class RtiController < ApplicationController

begin     wsdl_service_name 'Rti'     web_service_scaffold :invoke     web_service_api RtiApi

before_invocation :authenticate

include SoapMethods

protected

def authenticate (name, args)        #the first two arguments are always username and password        generic_login(args[0], args[1])        unless logged_in?           raise Exceptions::LoginFailedError , "LoginFailedError: Invalid user name or password"        end     end

rescue Exception => e     n = e.exception "#{e.inspect}: #{e.message}"     n.set_backtrace     raise n end end

Simple right?

If any error gets raised either in the authenticate function or any of the functions in the included module I want to catch them and re-raise a new error.

The rescue block never gets called no matter where the error happens.

That rescue block doesn't do what you think. The way you need to think
about it is after the interpreter hits that begin, what code does it
execute before it hits the rescue clause? It does not for example execute the authenticate method. It does
however call the web_service_api method, so if that raised an
exception then it would catch it

Next I try this.

def rescue_action do the same thing above end

Nope it never gets called either.

So I try this

rescue_from Exception do |e|        n = e.exception "#{e.inspect}: #{e.message}"       n.set_backtrace       raise n end

I also tried rescue_from SomeSpecificException and that doesn't
work either.

I also tried putting a begin rescue block in the included module and that doesn't do anything either.

Why is this so complicated? I just want a error handler for this controller. Is actionwebservice messing with the controller or what?

If you look at the actionwebservice code it is rescuing exceptions
before you get to them (see dispatch_web_service_request in http://github.com/datanoise/actionwebservice/tree/master/lib/action_web_service/dispatcher/action_controller_dispatcher.rb)

Fred