Error when trying to create new app

Hi, First let me say that I’m a total newbie and I just installed ruby on rails :smiley:

After installing rails on my computer I am getting the following error when I try to create a new app. In the command prompt I type in “rails new nameofapp” and it installs some things and then spits out the following error message, “An error occurred while installing rake <10.4.2>, and Bundler cannot continue. Make sure that 'gem install rake -v ‘10.4.2’ succeeds before bundling.”

What is this error message and what do I do?

I’m using Windows 8 and Rails Installer 1.9.

thanks,

josh

I don't have much experience in rails to tell you what to do, but open your command promt and run this:

$ gem install rake -v 10.4.2

This message is telling you that the rails can't install this gem, and you need this. Send me some message when you thy this, because I don't have sure that this will work.

It said, “‘$’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”

Hi, First let me say that I'm a total newbie and I just installed ruby on rails :smiley:

After installing rails on my computer I am getting the following error when I try to create a new app. In the command prompt I type in "rails new nameofapp" and it installs some things and then spits out the following error message, "An error occurred while installing rake <10.4.2>, and Bundler cannot continue. Make sure that 'gem install rake -v '10.4.2' succeeds before bundling."

What is this error message and what do I do?

I'm using Windows 8 and Rails Installer 1.9.

I suggest starting by working right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online).

As for your error, many here, including myself, would suggest that you do not try to do rails development on Windows. Instead use a linux variety such as Ubuntu, or a Mac. Some have had success on Windows, but many more have not. You can either dual boot your machine with ubuntu and Win or run ubuntu in a virtual machine in windows (using virtual box or vmware for example). Then I use rvm to install ruby and rails.

Colin