error_message_for not working

hi all,

I try to get error_message_for to get to work on my dorm. No luck...

For some reason the view doesn't show me the error message when I for example leave out the first_name

Some has a clue what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Stijn

I use a helperform to create a new user: <h2>New user</h2> </form> <%= error_messages_for 'user' %> <%= form_tag new_user_path %>     <label for="user_first_name">first_name: </label><%= text_field('user', 'first_name') %><br/>     <label for="user_last_name">last_name: </label><%= text_field('user', 'last_name') %><br/>     <label for="user_email">email: </label><%= text_field('user', 'email') %><br/>     <input type="submit" value="new"> <%= end_form_tag %>

the controller   def new     @user = User.new(params[:user])     if @user.save       flash[:notice] = "Nieuwe gebruiker aangemaakt"     end     redirect_to :back   end

the model class User < ActiveRecord::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many :nodes   has_many :posts   validates_presence_of :first_name, :last_name end

Apparently the problem is caused by the redirect_to :back . I need to use render to preserve the errors.

The problem is that I call the new method in my partial, used in different views. I thus need to redirect back. Can I use render to send me back to the previous page? Thanks, Stijn

yep, i want to know that too. how use error_message_for on redirect_to action ? who's know that? i know use flash only:

def new     @user = User.new(params[:user])     if @user.save       flash[:notice] = "Nieuwe gebruiker aangemaakt"     else       flash[:error] = @user.errors.each {|field, msg| error << msg + '<br>' }     end     redirect_to :back   end