Error handling when running outside of web environment

L.S., I have created a rails application which works, I now want to write a little batch program which uses the different "models" to perform some tasks. This is what I do:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../config/environment' require 'system' s = System.new( :name => 'a') if s.save == false         print "Error saving\n"         exit end

System is a model, has a field "name" which is unique. class System < ActiveRecord::Base         validates_uniqueness_of :name end

When I run the program the second time, I get the "Error saving" message and the program exits (as expected).

There is no error raised by the save function. If I do no explicit test, the program just runs on. Is there a way to get better error handling?

Gr. Robert

Robert,

> There is no error raised by the save function. If I do no explicit    > test, the program just runs on. Is there a way to get better error    > handling?

use    save! instead of save

http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html#M000906 1397: def save! 1398: save || raise(RecordNotSaved) 1399: end

Thanks!! New to rails, and ruby but getting into it. gr. Robert