ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried what you stated with no change.

I installed the .tgz of the gem and moved the entire folder within the
bin folder.
I read the 'readme' and tried to install. I received the below error
after the setup command.
Is this what you mean by "you have to build the gem yourself from
source"?

JohnM

Thanks again for the quick reply.
You are right. This is not the place for this post. My apologies.
I will move to the appropriate forum.
The funny thing is that I'm running a VM of Windows 2003 on a MAC.
I'm really a PHP guy with around 2 weeks (department mandated) of Ruby
experience.
Thanks again.
JohnM

Älphä Blüë wrote:

John Mcleod wrote:

Thanks again for the quick reply.
You are right. This is not the place for this post. My apologies.
I will move to the appropriate forum.
The funny thing is that I'm running a VM of Windows 2003 on a MAC.
I'm really a PHP guy with around 2 weeks (department mandated) of Ruby
experience.
Thanks again.
JohnM

No problem John -

I visit pretty much all forums and there are some great guys over there
that can assist. Luis Lavena and Roger Pack are pretty much the experts
on ruby platform and the state of the windows one click installer over
in the ruby forums.

I've built 1.9.1 via mingw and I've also managed to half build my own
1.9.1 via vc8 which took about 1 month trying to update/upgrade and
install various libraries that ruby requires, zlib, iconv, readline,
etc.

Trust me on the frustrations mate :slight_smile:

As a windows user, I feel very unloved. I think it comes down to just
developing on the type of system you will be go to production on. If
your server is on linux for instance, develop using a vmware or
virtualbox distro of the same version.

However, I tend to do both. I develop on windows and on linux (I just
prefer windows development over linux due to familiarity).

At least with MAC you have textmate :slight_smile: