error display at the field is not working

I had two fields in my form i.e start and end time fields, i am validating times but i am not reflecting the error message at the field, what should i have to do to diplay the error as "start time should be before end time". please help me

validate :valid_times

def valid_times     if start_time >= end_time       self.errors.add :start_time, 'has to be before end time'     end   end

Probably your view is not checking for errors on the object. You need code in it something like:

<% if @widget.errors.any? %>     <div id="error_explanation">       <h2><%= pluralize(@widget.errors.count, "error") %> prohibited this widget from being saved:</h2>       <ul>       <% @widget.errors.full_messages.each do |msg| %>         <li class="error"><%= msg %></li>       <% end %>       </ul>     </div>   <% end %>

Check your view (or layout) for such code, and if not there, stick this in, substituting your model name for widget.

-Dave

Thanks for your reply, I dont want the error to dispaly at outline, i want the error to display at near the date field i.e., inlne error display is required for me. please help me how to get it. Thanks in advance

Oh! Okay. That's a bit more tedious code. What you can do then is have the errors attach to the specific fields, and check for them when displaying each field. I think there are some standard ways to do this, but I don't recall offhand where to find examples and instructions. Google is your friend. IIRC, the default stuff will at least put a red box around the specific fields, using CSS....

-Dave